Thursday, February 1, 2007

I Will Hold You 'Til You Sleep

I have been wanting to buy some things for our new child but I kept thinking I should wait to see how old our daughter is before I buy anything. Or if it even is a daughter. But I got some very good advice.
A fellow adoptive mom told me that some of her sons most precious possessions are clothes that he never even wore. In their case, they had expected to bring their 4 yo son home a year before he actually came so she had purchased many things for him. These items are now his "baby" clothes and his "baby" toys. Keepsakes. It doesn't matter to him that he never wore them or used them.
Let the buying begin! I bought our child's very first gift. A book called I Will Hold You 'Til You Sleep, by Linda Zuckerman. She is a Pacific NW author so it makes the book even more special. The pictures are beautiful watercolors by Jon Muth.
Here is a portion of the text on the inside flap.

"What is your deepest wish for the child you love?

To sleep soundly each night, sure of your protection?

To know that whatever lies ahead, you will be there. . . to share the joys of sunny days, to soothe the scrapes, the falls, the hard times? . . .

Here is a heartfelt wish for a life filled with love."

Little One, where ever you are, whoever you are, I can't wait to "hold you 'til you sleep".

No comments: