Sunday, February 18, 2007

Keep Living Life

It's been a crazy weekend. It started Friday when I cleaned my house ALL day. It was the angst of waiting for my son to get his biopsy results and for some reason I decided to make my stress productive and CLEAN. My house is usually decently clean, but by the time I was done Friday I wanted to call ALL those people who ALWAYS seem to come over at 5:00 when my house looks the worst. "Hurry, come quick! My house is CLEAN!" (If any of you are reading this now, too late, you missed your chance. My house is now messy again.)
Life just doesn't slow down, even when someone gets cancer! Even when all I wanted to do was pull the covers over my head and cry all day. Lizzy had a soccer game yesterday and Paul had a sleepover to go to. Lizzy needed to go to a play at the school and Kim's Girl Scout troop cookies arrived and I was the pick-up person so I had to go pick up and sort a thousand boxes - literally. I'm so glad William can drive himself to his work and activities. He did arrive home after a basketball game with four friends in tow and they all wanted to remove the face paint they had used to dress up. Did you know that papertowels will not flush down the toilet? Uh - huh. I would think that high-schoolers would know that too. Did you know that high school boys are not very good about cleaning up a nice, clean bathroom even though they leave face paint all over it? Uh-huh. And why did they use BOTH sinks AND the bathtub????
On top of all this cacophony of activity, we had unexpected company arrive. I love these people and I'm glad they came to support us during this time. But let me give everyone a hint. If you ever want to support someone in a time of stress, don't stay over there ALL day AND ALL NIGHT without any prior notice. They decided at nine last night they would spend the night so I was changing sheets and figuring out sleeping arrangements for four people on a moment's notice. It's just not what I wanted to be doing in a catatonic state. STOP THE WORLD I WANT TO GET OFF!
Boy, I sure am venting, huh?
Well, today was calmer. In fact, at dinner we only had two kids at the table. TWO! Paul and Liz were at birthday parties and William at work. It was soooo quiet! Well, my husband and I both agreed that we LIKE loud better than quiet. We prefer lots of activity. I realized I should quit wishing I had been able to have a nice, quiet, silent, self-absorbed weekend. What was I going to do? Sit in a corner and cry and macrame my hair??? Yes, I am sad. I am devastated my son has cancer again. And I need to cry and have done plenty of that. But in the end, the joy of our other children and the activity they bring is a great reminder to keep living life.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I'm the same way with my house - when it's clean no one seems to come over! Sounds like things are very busy, but it's a blessing in disguise. Funny how that is, we want the quiet,but the busy helps us get through the day. I'm praying for your son, and for peace for you. (if not in the house, at least in your heart!)