Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Never Forget to Tell Your Kids You Love Them

Sometimes I just really miss my grown kids. James is almost 24 and Joe is 21. So often, I find myself remembering the days when they lived at home; memories pop into my mind. Mothers always hear how kids grow up fast, but I think, until we actually experience it, we just can't fathom how true it really is.

James lives close by and yet we only see him every other week or so. He's just a busy guy with a busy work schedule, managing a small, upscale restaurant in town. He also has a girlfriend who we all love, and they spend most of their free time together. What I'm getting at is, I understand why we don't see him more often, but it doesn't mean I don't miss him.

Last night, I was just really, really missing him. I don't know why it hit me so hard, with such a rush, but I just had to call him. I knew he would be at work so I knew he wouldn't answer his phone but I wanted to at least leave a message and tell him how much I love him. I was very surprised when he actually answered! They had just closed the restaurant and for some reason, he heard his phone and answered it. Maybe he had a feeling it was someone who really needed to talk to him.

So, I told him how much I love him and had been missing him and he sweetly replied, "Mom, I know that. If there is one thing I absolutely know in my life, it is how much you love me."
Never miss an opportunity to tell your kids how much you love them. Kids really do grow up.

2 comments:

tncornett said...

Okay, I really shouldn't read your blog when I'm tired and susceptible to lots of emotion.

I just loved this about James and how he is so assured in his life that you are there for him. What a gift you have given him. If there is nothing more as a mom that you can give, I suppose that is the most important thing.

Thanks for your inspiration. I tell my James that I love him lots too. I'm also thankful he's only 3 and I can still scoop him up and force my love on him. :-)

Christina said...

What a great reminder for all of us. And what a sweet son you have! No wonder you miss him. :) I miss my kids when they are away overnight, I can't imagine how it will be when they move away...