Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Rainbows

Joe is doing great. We spent the last two days visiting him in the hospital. He lives over two hours from us so we spent a lot of time driving but we also got a lot of time with our son. He's such a trooper. The chemo has given him some nausea and hallucinations while sleeping but he still has his humorous wit and is full of spunk (not physically, but orally). I know that the chemo treatments will build up and become more difficult, but at least he's tolerating it well now. He looks very tired but was very, very happy to have us there. Patrick went down yesterday and while we were there he drew Joe a picture of a bad guy in Star Wars. Joe put it on his bulletin board and said that bad guy is going to help him fight his cancer!
Joe will go home today. He lives with his girlfriend and they moved in with her family when he got cancer the first time. For those who know the history, the girlfriend issue is getting better. It's still emotionally draining, but better. For those who don't know the history, let's just say his girlfriend would prefer Joe didn't have a family and wishes he wouldn't have anything to do with us. Hmmm. I think she picked the wrong guy since Joe comes from a VERY close-knit, loving, traditional family with LOTS of close-knit extended family.
Anyhoo, don't get me started on that whole subject! Let's just say I like the idea of arranged marriage more all the time.
At times I feel torn between meeting the needs of my younger children, who have been at home with Grandma and friends, and yet being there for my son. I've basically only seen Paul and Kim the last two nights just to tuck them into bed. I plan to spend the next several days having lots of one-on-one time together. I also realize I am going to need to take people up on their offers to help when it comes time for Joe to have his stem cell transplant. I don't like asking for help even though I love helping people in their own times of crisis. Weird.
One last thing. I continue to feel God is telling me He is right here. I saw a rainbow three days in a row. Although it rains a lot in the PNW, we don't see a lot of rainbows. There must be rain AND sun for a rainbow. Yesterday the rainbow was HUGE! God sends us rainbows to help us through our storms.

No comments: