Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Trusting God Through Hard Times

It's been a hard week. My son, Joe, 21, had cancer last year. He had Hodgkin's Lymphoma which is considered a "good" cancer because it is so curable. He finished treatment in November and everyone celebrated because he was through with chemo and radiation, which had been very, very hard on his body.
Several weeks ago he started feeling tired again and started having some of his original symptoms. He finally went to the doctor and they found the cancer had returned, full force. He had a biopsy yesterday to determine the course of treatment.
It's so hard to see our kids suffer. It's so hard to deal with cancer. I remember when he first got cancer and they moved him to the cancer ward at the hospital. There was a sign that said, "Welcome to 4th Floor Oncology". That is when it really hit me. My son has CANCER! This child had always been my healthiest child! How ironic that he was the one who got cancer.
This time around has been harder. We don't have the shock that we with the original diagnosis, but we were given so much hope then. All the doctors assured us that it was a very curable thing. This time, we don't have as much shock, but we do have a lot less hope.
Friends, family and faith. I don't know how people get through life without those three things. Most importantly, faith.
It is normal to ask God, Why? I spent some time in that conversation. But I do not believe that God chooses to give children diseases like cancer. I do know that God carries us through them.
I really needed a verse to hang onto during this trial. I thought of a verse but couldn't remember all of it and couldn't find it in my Bible. The next day at church, God helped me out. It was proclaimed on the big screen in the front of the church.
"Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who trust in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:30-31
God has told me to trust Him and I will. I know that doesn't mean that He will heal our Andrew Joseph, but I know that someday, I will understand everything. Please keep our son in your prayers.

No comments: