Friday, March 23, 2007

I Love Spring Break!

Today has been a blur as we prepare to go out of town for a few days. Spring Break! I love it! I'm all packed, fridge is cleaned out, newspaper is stopped. On top of that, my college class is complete and I crossed off every single little thing on my nagging "to-do" list. (I don't know why, but for some reason, every time I am going to go out of town it suddenly becomes absolutely essential that I call about that insurance billing error or some dumb thing that hasn't had any importance at all for the last three months. I guess I just like to have my mind totally free!)

As I was driving to the bank, I was thinking about my son Paul. I am really looking forward to having some special time with him. Paul is 8 and he is just the happiest boy you will ever meet. He is our "easiest" child; a goes-with-the-flow kind of kid. He has so many friends that every time he gets invited to yet another birthday party I ask him if he could start to be a little meaner to the kids in the classroom because I am tired of having to buy so many birthday presents! He smiles at me with his big, toothy grin and says, "Mooooom!"

Paul doesn't have time to spend with boring ol' me. He and Kim are the best of friends and have their own little exclusive club. They are 18 months apart, which is a great spacing between kids. (Then again, Joe and Will are 4 years apart and they've always had a similar bond.) Paul never wants to go with me to the store or to run errands. My girls jump at the chance to go anywhere with me and even Will likes to go to the grocery store (he's learned he can get a lot more personal snacks that way!). Paul likes to stay home and play basketball, ride his bike or play video games.

What I'm getting at is something my mom once pointed out to me. She had watched some show on Dr. Phil or Nanny 911 and I found her advice irritating at the time, but of course, she was right! It can be dangerous to have an easy child in a big family. The squeaky wheels get the grease. Alex never squeaks.

So, I try to keep this at the forefront of my mind, but with everything that's been going on, I worry that I haven't been giving him enough attention lately. He doesn't ever seem to care one way or the other. But I care. I know he is going to grow up and I want to have as many wonderful memories being with him as with my squeaky wheels (who will go un-named so as to protect their innocence).

So, for vacation, I've packed all of Paul's favorite board games and books and I look forward to spending some very special time with my very special boy. I look forward to spending time with all my kids! I love Spring Break!

1 comment:

Christina said...

I have a son like that too... it's hard to remember to give the non-squeaky wheel enough attention. I'm sure your son will be so happy to have quality time with you over spring break. Have FUN!! :-)