Friday, March 30, 2007

Vacations Are Heaven

We're Baaack!!! We had so much fun! It was a vacation spent just being together (minus Will who was on a high school baseball trip). My parents were with us. Actually, I should rephrase that. We were with them . . . again. What can I say? There are bonuses to having parents that own a time-share and do not have any other children living in the area to crash their vacations!

This vacation was the best kind . . . relaxing. We played games with our kids - card games, Mancala and cribbage. We did a big floor puzzle of the United States. Paul and I had several basketball games together. He was quite crafty in getting me to play a VERY long game. We usually play H-O-R-S-E, or if I don't have much time (or energy) P-I-G, but when we got out on the court at the resort, Paul suggested a game of I-L-O-V-E-Y-O-U-M-O-M-M-Y. How could I turn that down????

We enjoyed the pool, tennis courts and Eric went golfing with my dad. We also read lots of books by Bill Peet. If you haven't discovered this children's author, you must! These were some of Eric's favorites as a child and our kids ADORE them! They are creative, funny and have quite the vocabulary.

On Sunday, we went to a church that is one of the oldest in the PNW. It was a log cabin. I enjoyed it. Patrick did not. Paul and Kim did not. It was a very long service with funeral dirge music. (I wondered if their music was always this funeral-ly or if it was because of Lent. It makes me love the music at our home church even more! Jazzy baby!) Speaking of Lent, I gave up biting/picking/tormenting my nails and they are looking pretty good! Can't wait for Easter so I can chew them all off! LOL! JK!

The car ride was long. It was a seven hour drive and we are used to long car trips, but seven hours IS long. I never thought I would say this, but portable DVD players are the best thing ever invented! I was opposed to getting one for the longest time. I wanted my children to read in the car, and draw, and look at the clouds deciphering visual creations. In reality, this meant I was the entertainment committee - and the referee. For this trip, we loaded up with TWO DVD players and THREE portable video game systems. It was heaven. Nobody looked at the clouds but heaven reigned! Eric drove and I had hours of peaceful reading, knitting and journalling. And Eric and I TALKED! For HOURS. Yes, it was heaven.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Welcome back! Glad you had a good time.
I think car-dvd players are God's gift to parents. :-)