Thursday, March 22, 2007

THE WEDDING

Well, it's only 1:30 and we are already home from the wedding! On the drive home, dh and I decided maybe all of our children should get married at the Courthouse - short, sweet, and hardly time to cry. Besides that, it's cheap and low-stress.

I had a dream a couple of weeks ago that Joe got married and what I remember about the dream was that it was a very happy event. It was. Joe was very happy and Marci (his new WIFE) was very happy. Her parents were happy (they LOVE Joe) and we were happy to see our son so happy! (And that's a lot of happy.) Eric helped Joe with his tie and Marci's mom rearranged her bouquet. Marci had a cute new haircut. They both looked very nice. Yes, it was happy.

But, of course, it was sad too. It was just very sad to look at our son and see how sick he is. Before, he was always the picture of health: vibrant, muscular, with the looks of a model. Now he is pale, he has circles around his eyes, he's thin and weak . . . but he still has that million-dollar smile! Most grooms worry about things like . . . oh, I don't know . . . like, losing the ring or fainting or maybe even farting during the "I do." (Actually, guys seem to be so proud of their farts, they probably don't worry about farting, even in the middle of their wedding ceremony.)

Joe had his own worries, but it all turned out okay. He was relieved to still have hair for the event (it's falling out by the handfuls) and to be able to walk without his cane (he took extra painkillers). In all my daydreams of what it would be like when my first child got married, I never thought about things like hair loss and cains. I guess the good thing is, it will reduce the stress in our future weddings. How can I worry about the catered food being perfect when I will look back and remember the things Joe worried about?

After the wedding, they were heading to a local hotel (compliments of Marci's parents) after first picking up some "to-go" from Olive Garden, their favorite restaurant. Oh, and refilling his prescription for painkillers at the pharmacy - not the normal stop for newlyweds. That's never part of fairytale weddings. But then, in fairytales, the groom never has cancer.

Just as they were getting ready to step into the car, Joe gave me a big bear hug. He's always been a "hugger" even during the teenage years, even in front of his cool, teenage friends, and now, in front of his wife. He hugged me for a long, long time. I will never forget that hug.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Ann, you're making me cry! I'm glad the wedding was "Happy"! All the best to the bride and groom.