Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Importance of Good Teachers and Coaches

My last post was kind of a sad one. This one is happier! Things are happening on the adoption front. We should know something soon . . . stay tuned!

Since it's nearing the end of the school year, I think about all the teachers and coaches who have positively influenced my kids this year. These people have helped my children in wonderful ways they will carry for the rest of their lives. They are mentors, role models, life coaches and truly, friends. I have the highest regard for these professionals who obviously do not do it for the money.

Unfortunately, there is one coach who very negatively affected our child and our lives this year. Having a family of athletes we have had hundreds of coaches over the years; most are great, some are incredibly exceptional. This one was devastating. We will never forget the hurtful things the coach said both to our son and to his teammates. It hurts.

Oh, but I said this was going to be a happy post, and it is. I found this great quote on my Starbucks cup and thought it appropriate. It shows the power of positive teachers and coaches.

"It's relationships, not programs that change children. A great program simply creates the environment for healthy relationships to form between adults and children. Young people thrive when adults care about them on a one-to-one level, and when they also have a sense of belonging to a caring community.

Bill Milliken

Founder and vice chairman of Communities in Schools, author of Tough Love and The Last Dropout.

I love that quote. It is so true.

No comments: