Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Popsicles make me crazy!

Thanks to all who are praying for Joe. He is doing better than I thought he would be doing at this stage. He is actually sleeping a great deal too--praise God for that!!! I know he is going to feel worse and worse over the course of the next several days, so that is hard. At the same time, once this chemo is done, hopefully, his cancer will be gone and all he will have to do is to get better :-)

After the chemo, he will rest for a few days, then his own stem cells will be put back into his body. The miracles of modern medicine! His biggest danger is getting sick during this time that he will have no immune system to even fight off the smallest of colds.


Yesterday I had a bit of a minor meltdown. It wasn't a real meltdown and in fact my kids thought it was quite funny and Lizzy even mimicked me at one point to which I could do nothing but break out in hysterics. (If it had been a real meltdown that would NOT have happened.)

I know I was feeling stressed about Joe and it just seems that every summer we have to reinvent the wheel on how we are going to have a houseful of people and yet keep the house clean enough to avoid using shovels. I also have to re-educate my children on things like throwing away their Popsicle wrappers. I mean, is it really too much to ask that everyone walks to the garbage to throw away their wrapper? You would think they would be happy to have the treat of Popsicles and would remember that every other summer mom got upset when kids didn't throw away their wrappers. No, no, I have to remind every single child, and the older the child, the more reminders needed!

One thing that worked well last summer was assigning a room to each child to keep picked up and clean for a month at a time. At mealtimes, I have all the kids do a "house sweep" which means to go all over the house and pick up anything they've left out. Then, once a day, we each work 20 minutes on our assigned room, not only cleaning it but also doing some deep cleaning like blinds, baseboards, closets etc.

So, after my mini-meltdown, I let the kids each pick and room, they all cleaned for 20 minutes, I cleaned for 200 minutes, the house looked much better which means I felt much better.

Ah summer!! The good, the bad and the ugly!

Thanks again for your continued thoughts and prayers for Joe.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I'm with you on the popsicle wrappers... and the sticks too.
That's a great idea about doing a quick sweep before meals and assigning each kid a room. I think I'll try that this summer!