Thursday, September 6, 2007

A Love Song

I found the following quote in a book entitled When the Bough Breaks: Forever After the Death of a Son or Daughter by Judith R. Bernstein.


A Love Song

"The mention of my child's name may bring tears to my eyes--but it never fails to bring music to my ears.

If you really are my friend, please don't keep me from hearing the beautiful music. It soothes my broken heart and fills my soul with Love."

Nancy Williams


Yes, Joe's name will forever be a love song to my ears. I still cry every day and wonder when the day will come that I just feel sad and do not cry. I still dream about him every night but my dreams have turned from nightmares to beautiful memories.

I miss my son.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ditto - Eric

Anne said...

Hi Shila.... I know it is very different in some ways in that it was my grandfather and not my child... but when he passed away I know I cried a lot for a long time. It was so hard to see any elderly person that reminded me of him when we were out anywhere.

I was so blessed to have had so many good years with my Paw-Paw! He died when I was a senior in college from cancer. I still remember that day in the hospital room with my mom. The Hospice workers there were wonderful.

Now, 10 years later, I have tears rolling down my face as I leave this comment for you. But most of the time when I think of him, there is some sadness but a lot of happy feelings just remembering the good times we shared!

sarah said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It is unimaginable the pain you must be going thru. I lost my mom to cancer when she was just 48 (I was 21), so almost the exact opposite of your situation. I watched her suffer on and off thru my whole life... so I think I understand some of what you must be feeling.
Just wanted to give you hope and let you know that you will stop crying one day... but you will always be sad for what is not here... and that's ok. The best advice someone gave me after my mom passed was to allow myself to feel whatever emotion I was going thru... happy, sad, mad... whatever. I still miss my mom everyday, but as it's been 11 years now, it's much easier than it once was. But I still have those days where I just want my Mom! (especially when going thru something like adoption)
Please know that you will get thru it... just give yourself time. The love of a good family helps too, and it sounds like you're more than covered in that department! Sorry if I'm being too forward with my thoughts, but your story struck me and I wanted to let you know you're not alone..... take care.

Ann said...

Sarah, Anne and Eric, thank you all for your kind words. It means a lot to me that you have shared your own hearts.