Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Kick Booty!

You know, teenagers can be challenging. They make me question any and all parenting strategies I possess. But teenagers can also be a ton of fun and the two we have right now are in easy phases--like having good friends around. They make me feel like I am actually doing something right!

Yesterday, I was lamenting the fact that I was, most likely, going to end up with a B in my college class. It is a required class and, like most required classes, dry. It is an online course which means double the reading and no interaction but only having to physically go onto campus for tests. It has been nice with Vu.

For reasons that now drive me insane, getting an A is important. It's my perfectionism combined with my competitiveness. It drives me nuts because I'm sure I could get a job just as readily with a 3.0. So why put in the extra work an A requires? I don't have a good answer. Personal pride I guess.

What I do know is that I was certain I was going to end up with a B. As I told my teenagers, I had added up my points and I was at 90%. I would need an A on the final which I knew was next to impossible since I had received a B on both mid-terms despite the fact I had studied.

Listening to my teenagers was like hearing my own voice echoing back.

Lizzy chastised me with, "But Mom! Don't take that attitude! Be positive! You never know, the final might be really easy! You can't just give up!"

And Will's response?: "Mom, NO! You need to do what I do. I go in to take that final knowing I'm gonna OWN it. I say to myself,

"I'M GONNA KICK SOME BUTT AND TAKE SOME NAMES!"

So that's what I'm going to do. A Momma with an attitude! Wish me luck!

No comments: