Saturday, August 23, 2008

Chevy Chase And Code Brown

The mood this morning:
Photobucket

This morning consisted of dealing with tired, cranky, irritable, non-listening kids. Patrick is totally vacationed out and I can see Vu reverting to some behaviors he had during the initial phases of his homecoming—he is tense and hyper.

I remember those first couple of weeks after we adopted him--I could tell he was going to be a very high-energy kid. I was wrong. It turned out that once he got settled in he became a very mellow kid. Just goes to show one cannot discern a lot about a child’s personality in those first weeks.

Anyhoo, the day started with a replay of Chevy Chase in National Lampoons Vacation. In case you have not seen the movie, of course I have to replay it for you. I will give you the PG version:

The dad (Clark Griswold) has had it with vacation and here are words to his family,

"I think you're all (bad word) in the head. We're ten hours from the (bad word) fun park and you want to bail out? Well I'll tell you something. This is no longer a vacation. It's a quest. It's a quest for fun. I'm gonna have fun and you're gonna have fun. We're all gonna have so much (bad word) fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our (bad word) smiles! You'll be whistling 'Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah' out of you're (pie)holes! I gotta be crazy!
-- Clark W. Griswold (Chevy Chase)

It wasn't pretty folks but apparently the "pep talk" worked and the day was saved with more fun time with D&D and family. It is SO nice to have a down day! We hit the farmers market, a lab rescue site, batting cages and a cool art and toy store.

After a delicious lunch featuring homemade hummus and produce from the farmers market we took the kids to the pool. Swimming has been Vu’s favorite part of the vacation—that and the lightsaber of course. It was cool, refreshing and EXCITING!
Here's Paul enjoying the pool:
Photobucket

Near the end of our swim the lifeguard got on his loud-speaker and announced, “Please get out of the pool. I repeat, please get out of the pool. We will be closing due to an unfortunate incident.”

I looked around alarmed that perhaps someone had drowned but realized several people were laughing and the exit mirrored that of the barf incident. I asked one of the lifeguards what was up and was hurriedly told, “Code Brown!”

Code Brown? Could it be what I thought? Our kids watched in horror as one lifeguard, apparently the one who drew the short straw, took a long handled net and large garbage bag and scooped something brown out of the deep end of the pool! (All I could think about was the movie Caddy Shack.) The deep end! Can you believe it? A big person pooped in the pool! Yuck!!! Yuck with lots of laughter and long, hot, SOAPY showers!

Definitely one of the memorable events of the trip. I really doubt any of my children will grow up to become a lifeguard. Looked like a cush job until that point!

We went back to D&D’s and my kids ate them out of house and home. The big people stayed up until 1 am wishing our visit could last longer and planning a camping trip together next summer. They truly are gluttons for punishment—either that or they just want to make sure we meet somewhere other than their beautiful home next time! LOL!

Kim helping D1 and D2 give their rescue dog a bath:
Photobucket

D1's mom knitted all the kids hats and Eric and I scarves! Aren't they wonderful? If you look closely you will see Grandma hidden behind the kids. She is a charming woman.
Photobucket

Tomorrow--another road trip!!!

3 comments:

Thankfulmom said...

Ann,

Thanks for commenting on my blog so that I could find yours! I appreciate your words of encouragement - it's a wild ride. No tears yesterday - at least not that I can remember, but that isn't saying much. It's great that you got away on vacation.

Blessings on your family.

Lisa

The Coys said...

I love those hats! What a gift and you can use them sledding this year on Mt. Hood!

It's Absolutely Us. said...

You guys are so much fun! I have enjoyed following along on your vacation. Thank you for blogging about it :)