Friday, January 9, 2009

YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!

Replay of conversation Sunday evening:

"Look! It's starting to snow! Maybe school will be cancelled AGAIN!"

"What??? It's snowing again? No! I WANT school to start tomorrow! Three weeks stuck at home is too long! Please stop snowing, please stop snowing! If school is cancelled tomorrow I'm going to go crazy!"

"But I don't want school to start! Keep snowing! Pleeeease!"

"Oh, c'mon! School is fun!"

The whine becomes whinnier--"But I love vacation! I love sleeping in, staying up late, movies, books, hot chocolate, lounging around all day in my pajamas! School is too much work! I don't want to go back to school! No, no! I don't want to be on a tight schedule with every second of every day planned! (the brow furrows, the foot stomps) I won't do it! I WON'T AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!!!"

Stunned silence

My children look at me in shock and Kim finally says, "But Mom, school is good for you."

Yes, my kids were ready to start back to school and I was the one hissing and shooting spitballs at the calendar. Unlike most of my friends who were partying Monday morning, I was pulling out the homeschool books and starting my own classes that very evening. Truthfully, I have a love/hate relationship with school.
Photobucket
I love homeschooling Vu and Patrick and I'm excited to finally be entering my senior year of college but there's no down time and after being a slug for three weeks it's really hard to get back in gear. Sigh! The lack of a blog for a week says it all. I think I would make a really great bag-lady--as long as I had books, money for Starbucks and a computer.
Photobucket
A few more snow days would be just fine with me!

2 comments:

Sharada & Richard Kettle said...

Man, I hear ya! Even us teachers like snow days!!!! Good luck with your return to the classroom, I am doing the same in about 10 days- changing from teaching to nursing, I hope!! LOL!

Brendae said...

I felt the same way! I had a friend call me Sunday night to say school was canceled already for Monday and I was excited. She was incredulous "You're EXCITED?!?" Then she told me she was joking... so mean. It's so hard to go back to real life. I love being lazy.