Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Friendship

"Friendship is a plant of slow growth and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation."
George Washington

For those (like me) who don't want to think so hard:

"Friends are needed both for joy and for sorrow."
Yiddish Proverb

I love my friends. One of the reasons I don't want to move outside my fingernail perimeter is because of friends. I am blessed to be surrounded by so many wonderful women who love me whether I am happy or sad, crazy or boring, quiet or loud.

About fifteen years ago three friends and I went out to lunch together. We enjoyed it so much we've kept it up all these years. We even started out with a name--The Four-Leaf Clover Club--there were four of us and we each had four children. I, obviously, violated the kid number rule but they haven't kicked me out yet! In fact, they have put up with me often bringing my own children or even other peoples' children!

A couple months ago, I woke up, knew we had Clover Club, saw it on my calendar, planned for lunch at an especially delicious place--then completely forgot! I was having a really bad day and my mind was just mush. My friends called when I didn't show and I nearly cried I was so disappointed! By then, it was too late for me to join them. An hour later, here they came, with coffee and cheesecake. Now that's true friendship!
K is Kim's godmother, L is Patrick's godmother, and P (not in the picture) is Paul's godmother. How I love these special women!
Photobucket

But often, life gets so busy I neglect my friends--I am absolutely the worst at calling to check in with people. I don't even call my own sisters--I am not a phone person AT ALL!

Another friend (Thank you Brenda!) sent me this, which is a great reminder to spend time with those who mean so much because the Yiddish Proverb is really true.

Transcending: Words on Women and Strength by Kelly Corrigan


Thank you for all my wonderful friends who have been there for me, especially these past few years. Thank you to my best friends--my husband, my sisters and my mom--thank you to my real life friends and my cyber friends. Thank you for helping me continue on--to transcend!

2 comments:

amber said...

Oh goodness.... loved the video -- it made me cry!

Brenda said...

LOVE the picture! I was so excited to see TWO of my favorite women in it. Both you and L have been inspirations to me on this road of mothering little ones.
Thank you.