Wednesday, July 1, 2009

God Bless You

Photobucket
Well, we've had several contractors and repairmen in and out of our house fulfilling the requested repairs on the house--some we agreed with and some were gigantic misunderstandings--we had to actually pay someone to come out and prove an appliance was, in fact, in perfect working order. (The tiny sound of a dishwasher door will never have the same meaning! $80 to a repairman proves that, indeed, dishwasher hinges do make a slight sound due to the spring mechanism, which we of course knew, but we now have the requested verification. . . . for $80.) Did I mention it was $80 for that? If anyone else would like $80 please come over. We have been handing out money like there is no tomorrow. For instance, $80 to dishwasher repair guys. For no repair.
Photobucket
These are the types of things that have given the words "for sale" all new meaning. I never knew selling a house could be so stressful and overwhelming. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the frustrations, letting them spill over into every crevice of life.

Which is why I am actually very glad two of the repairmen came.

First, a little reminder that we live in one of the least-churched states in the nation. It is nearly illegal here to admit to being a believer. I kid you not that it takes actual courage to wear a cross because of stereotypes and the ever-increasing belief that we are never to offend anyone else--even at the expense of offending our own selves and our own God. Let's just say that most people don't talk about religion outside of church and close friends. I have actually known people for years, yet didn't know they were believers.

Anyhoo, having said all that, my mind of late has not been very filled with Christian-like thoughts. It is difficult to feel close to God when anger takes over, especially when envisioning scenarios of karma such as having the screaming fix-the-dishwasher (that isn't broken) realtor (not ours) get run over by the dishwasher repair man.

Oops! Did I just say that outloud? Forgive me karma-god, for I have sinned!!!

WHAAAT? I didn't mean run-over as in dead. Just run-over as in unconscious for a while! So he can't talk. So he can't yell at people and make them get dishwashers that aren't broken, fixed. Or rather, looked at and laughed at by a very perplexed repairman. For $80.

It's bad, huh?

And I digress but it's all coming back around.

When I woke up yesterday morning I read this verse, "But be holy in all you do, just as God, the One who called you, is holy." 1 Peter 1:15.

I felt my heart soften. A lot.

And then, a repairman came and the first words out of his lips were, "God bless you!" I was taken aback. It's not a greeting often used--especially here.

I felt God soften my heart more. A lot more.

And then, another repairman came and as he was leaving he shook my hand and said, "God bless you." I was stunned. Two repairmen in the same day telling me the same thing. I definitely felt God speaking to me.

My heart softened more. Sin surfaced. True confession left my lips and with it, my anger.

Peace. Even tho I have no idea if our housesale will go through. Even after paying for lots of repairs including $80--for no repair.

Peace.

It feels good.

God bless you.

1 comment:

Barb in Phoenix said...

We once had a self-healing dishwasher - it repaired itself right before our closing - I kid you not! Buying & selling at the same time is one of THE biggest stress levels you'll experience in your lifetime...hang in there!