Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Importance of Couple Time

I have never been good about making time for romantic weekend interludes away with my hubby.  Planning for even a simple overnight takes a ton of work!  Organizing the trip, child care, sports schedules, carpools etc. seems to cause more stress than any amount of relaxation could ever possibly make up for.  On top of it, I like to be home with all my babies--I don't like to leave them for even one night!

Luckily, I am married to a wise husband who knows the importance of couple time.  Over the years he has insisted that we try to get away twice a year, for at least one night.

Although I don't like the stress of preparing for a trip, and I don't like saying goodbye to my kids, I am always glad to have the time away once it comes.  Hubby and I get a chance to talk (uninterrupted), go out to eat (without someone needing to go potty just as the food arrives), discuss goals, find solutions to concerns, and just relax.  I believe that couple time is a key to a long marriage.

Over the years we have been quite creative in finding couple time that works for our particular life situation.  Weekends have included time away at everything from a fancy hotel on the beach to a rustic cabin (free when owned by the grandparents).  When money was really tight we stayed at our own home--and farmed all the kids out!   

If we had a new baby/non-separating toddler, we would get a hotel in our own town, have childcare arranged for all the kids through the evening, then bring the baby back to the hotel with us for the rest of the night.  While it wasn't perfectly romantic, it kept the baby/toddler from crying all night for mom--and it kept mom from crying all night for the baby. 

Most of the time, we only get away for one or two nights.  It is amazing how refreshing that time can be.  But Hubby has been wanting to get away for a second honeymoon for a long time.  We were hoping to celebrate our 20th on an exotic adventure, but instead spent it with me moaning on the couch, vomiting every minute or two, suffering from morning all-day sickness.  I was pregnant with Patrick.  It was definitely not our most romantic anniversay.

Then, we hoped to get away for our 25th, but that was when Joe was so sick.  Again, not our most memorable anniversary.

So, our 30th seemed to be the next possibility.  But on our 30th, we will have a new daughter, and since she will have just joined the family, I knew I wouldn't be comfortable leaving her for any length of time.  So, hubby and I decided it was time to celeberate our 30th--now!

It was a TON of work organizing everything and everyone.  I think we nearly killed my parents leaving the kids with them for an entire week--they are SAINTS and they survived!  But the past week was truly romantic memorable! 




Couple Time!  It does the marriage good!

4 comments:

Sally-Girl! said...

IS that the beaches of Hawaii??? And I second couple time!!! We are in dire need of it these days!!!

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

AMEN to that! We always try to get away for one night a year :) We do also have evening time since our kids are young though which is good while you can get it :)

one thankfulmom said...

I am so happy for you! Russ and I have plans to get away to Montana soon and we can't wait. It definitely does a marriage good.

Mei Mei s and Mayhem said...

So glad you were able to do this!!! Couple is so important and what better place than Hawaii!!!