Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Implementing Education in Daily Life

When the school year started, I made a homework supply basket.  I wanted to clear out a cupboard for storing it when not in use, but in the meantime I put it on the kitchen table.



It soon became apparent that keeping the supply basket on the table, all the time, was great way to encourage educational pursuits.  My kids would often eat dinner, then decide to draw or write letters. 



I soon added a tablet of Mad Libs  and the cribbage board.  Recently, I substituted in the game of Phase Ten.   As the year wears on, I will continue to swap out different educational games and activities.  It's a great way to add a little more education into my kids' daily lives.

Speaking of which, I also love educational placemats.  We have everything from sign language, to the presidents, to the periodic table.  Again, an easy, fun way to implement education and often a subject of conversation during dinner.

Here, Kim and Paul are getting an impromptu lesson on the 50 States. 


I love finding ways to get my kids brain cells working.  I'd love to hear your family favs.

2 comments:

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

We have a whole cubby of these things- it is great!!!

Sandra & Steve said...

Great idea, am definitely stealing yours. We used the educational mats too. I have nothing to share - but you've managed to motivate me, I need to create more opportunities for fun learning.