Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mending Holes With Fairytales

I had a meeting this week with Vu's teacher.  He is doing well, but still struggles, especially in reading. 

When I go to a meeting with a teacher, I always hesitate with how much to share.  I want to protect Vu's privacy, and I also want teachers to treat him the same as any other kid.  And yet, the truth is, he IS different.  His background of trauma, abuse, and neglect put holes in the fabric of his current life in a variety of ways.  We are continually trying to mend those holes, while also finding new rips to try and repair.

One hole was pointed out by his teacher.  Vu doesn't know his fairytales.  At first, I was surprised.  We did cover nursery rhymes the year I homeschooled him (although since he was an emerging language learner I'm not sure how much he retained), and my other kids always got their dose of fairytales when they were pre-schoolers.  But, Vu arrived when he was six.  We didn't spend a lot of time on simple books, because his language took off so quickly.  And really, let's face it, with the growing wealth of books, it is easy to surpass fairy tales too quickly with any child.   



I was thrilled his teacher pointed this fact out to me.  Yesterday we went down to the public library and brought home an armload of fairytales.  Not only is Vu enjoying them, but Patrick is also having fun with the review.

And the double bonus?  There is usually a great moral at the end.

2 comments:

The Coys said...

It's always so interesting to me that Fairy Tales come up with so much importance. Mom says the same thing. I have read that Grimm Fairy Tales are useful in that you can make them scarier by using scarier voices, or get softer versions that aren't as dark and worrisome. Landon always liked them with a bit of an edge, but not too scary of a witch's voice (ha!). I'm looking forward to hearing about Vu's progression. It must be hard to identify all these places of 6 years that need to be covered. He will get there though with your help.

Our Family said...

We are in exactly the same predicament with Hunter when it comes to talking to school about gaps in his knowledge and why. He brought home standardized testing last week and the most obvious thing was he could not identifyu a drawing of a "ham." He knew it was meat but he just did have the word (We don't eat a big ham that often in our house!). Fiary tales are another area. What a great idea and our 5 year old will love them too! You are the bomb, Mom! :)