Friday, November 19, 2010

The Hole in Our Gospel

"Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God."        ~ Bob Pierce, World Vision's founder


I read The Hole in Our Gospel in response to my friend R's fundraising request.  (Feel free to blog hop over and help build a well in Ethiopia simply by leaving a comment about the book.)

As I read the book, I found myself constantly marking pages.

But now that it is time for me to write my comments, I find myself nearly speechless.

New thoughts. Old thoughts. Inspiration.  Painful and refreshing words, verses, and insight. New understandings.  Compassion. Uplifting convictions and beliefs.  Disbelief.  Invitations.  A call for change.

It's a book that shows how change is possible--how each of us can make small changes leading to big hope for our broken world. 

"We can do no great things, only small things with great love."                     ~ Mother Teresa

Yes.  It's a life changing book.  It has challenged me in ways I didn't necessarily want to be challenged.

And yet I do want to be challenged.

And I am challenged.

And I will forever be changed.

"The kingdom of God is within you." ~ Jesus Christ  (Luke 17:21)

5 comments:

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Haven't read this yet....have it. Reading Radical- Hole in the Gospel is next :) Can't wait!!!

Sally-Girl! said...

Oh you need to read Mark batterson's Wild Goose Chase. It is powerfully wonderful!!!! I savored every word. Radical is a close second to me.

I will now look for this book so I can read it on my flight to China to get Gracie Mae!!!

Kat said...

I jumped over here from the Adoption Story Blog Hop and saw this :). I LOVE that book and it changed me, my mom...so many. I would read a chapter and then just sit down and digest it before I could read another one.

I LOVED seeing your beautifully large family (we have seven blessings, four adopted) and I laughed when I saw your quote. In my email signature I have "Sanity is Over-rated".

OneThankfulMom said...

I liked the book a lot. Now I'm reading Radical, and next is Wounded Children, Healing Homes - which I am anxious to start. Have you read it?

Lisa

OneThankfulMom said...

I liked the book a lot. I have the image of his wife carrying water to their suburban home burned in my mind. I'm reading Radical now and then moving on to Wounded Children, Healing Homes.

Lisa