Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Doctor Is In

When I was little I dreamed of becoming a doctor.  Marcus Welby MD was my hero! 

I also wanted ten kids. 

At some point, I realized the two didn't go along so well together, especially when you throw in the idea of being a stay-at-home mom. 

Well, I almost have the ten kids (give me some time, I'm sure I can talk the old fart into it it'll happen!).  And, in my own mind I'm also a very good doctor.  I often joke that my favorite pediatrician is Dr. CrazyForKids--Dr. Myself. 



I don't use medication unless truly necessary--perhaps buying in bulk isn't such a good idea for me--I realized today the ibuprofen we've been using expired in 2006-oops!



But I do really appreciate the wonders of antibiotics when necessary.  I feel blessed to live in a country that has excellent medical care, and doubly blessed to have medical insurance.

Dr. CrazyForKids says this:  When a child has a flu/chest cold, and then the flu/chest cold goes away, that's good. 

BUT if that flu/cold comes back, either as a chest cold or ear/sinus infection, WITH a fever, it's not good. 

Vu has the NOT GOOD kind.  Poor guy has pneumonia.

As I was tucking him into his homemade steam tent tonight I thought I'd share pics in case anyone out there has a wee one who is sick.

A tent can easily be made by hanging sheets/blankets around a bottom bunk.  I've also used a child's play tent or even hung a sheet over a card table. 




I put the vaporizer up on a storage box.  Vick's Vapor Rub on the chest and on the bottoms of the feet, then cover feet with socks (tried and true from my grandmother). 



Poor little guy. 

Patrick also has an ear infection and Hubby's down with a bad cold.  I told everyone to get it out of their systems because we leave in 2 1/2 weeks!!!!

3 comments:

Sandra & Steve said...

Hope everyone feels better soon! Cannot wait to see your daughter. We're leaving in 3 weeks for Taiwan to meet our 8 yr old daughter. Looking foward to comparing notes! ;0)

Andrea said...

bless your heart.
I hope they are better soon.

Kristina said...

Wow! You weren't kidding!!! Your fam is battling the sickness season too!!! I *think* (fingers crossed) we are over it....(hopefully I don't jinx myself!!!). Well, aside from those darn allergies, but other then that, I hope we are healthy! We have too much to do and not enough time to get it all done! (Insert freak-out moment here!).....
See you in a few weeks!!! :-)