Saturday, May 28, 2011

Sometimes I Forget I Just Had A C-Section

I have often given advice--only to forget it myself!  One of my best pieces of advice for adoptive parents is to remember that you just had a new baby!


Yes, there is a baby in that gaggle of kids!  It's 3-day-old Patrick!

 And whether that baby is big or small, the change that occurs in the household is still very similar to adding a newborn. 


Meeting Vu for the first time!

A new baby/child results in parental lack of sleep and changes routines and relationships.  A new baby brings about the necessity for PREPARATION, SIMPLIFICATION and REJUVENATION. 

How does this look? 

In the past, I would prepare my home pre-baby for the birth/adoption.  This meant stocking my freezer with meals, getting big projects out of the way, and going through that "nesting" phase where I would clean my house from top to bottom. 

This birth?  I think I was so focused on the baby that I forgot about my pending C-Section.

In the past, simplification meant making life as easy as possible--making arrangements for the carpool, eating simple recipes and convenience foods, using paper plates, taking up friends on their offers for help.

This birth?  Not so much. 

In the past, rejuvenation meant taking naps, allowing for downtime, having multiple forced-breaks of sitting down when the baby needed fed (and having a pile of books to read nearby). 

This birth?  Ummmm.  Did I mention that my new baby likes to go and go and do and do? 



And so do the rest of my babies? 



Not a lotta napping going on here!

But, last week, when I was asked to take on a big project for an end-of-the-year school event, I almost said yes.  Then, I remembered that I had just had a C-Section.  And I said no.  And the world didn't end.

Since that day, I have been focusing on simplification and rejuvenation.  Even fitting in a couple of naps here and there. 


And it's been good.  Very, very, good.

6 comments:

Mrs. Deem said...

Love this post.

thecurryseven said...

Yeah! Good for you. (And I have a feeling I will need to remember this at some point.)

e

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

SOOO VERY TRUE!!!!!

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful picture and a good reminder that in the midst of everything, taking that time with one of our kids is priceless. sweet post, sweet pic

Stevens Family said...

So sweet.

Stephanie said...

Ann,
I love this post! It is so true and a reminder of how adding a child of any age involves adjustment and times of rest. Would you mind if we featured it on "We Are Grafted In"? I believe we have already used one of your posts in the past, so if that is the case, we wouldn't need a new bio or pic, we'd just need your permission.
Let me know!
Stephanie smurphy 28 @ juno. com
co-administrator of WAGI