Monday, May 23, 2011

Tired

I go like a crazy-lady all day long, but by nighttime, I am tired.  Just plain t.i.r.e.d.  Having a bunch of kids will do that to ya. 

But adopting an older child, who speaks very little English, means I also get tired of communicating. 

By nature, I'm more of a listener than a talker.  Lately, my days feel too filled--with both! 

By evening, I feel physically and mentally pooped-out from all the talking, listening, translating, google translating, pantomiming, charade-ing, explaining, and demonstrating.



It's just the truth of the matter.  I know it will get better.  But for now, it's just plain tiring.

4 comments:

Anna said...

I remember those first months with our little one. Is there a way you could possibly make something like a communication board? I know you can find helps on the internet, they are used in special ed. classes and homes. I would set up a system with a picture and word underneath in the childs language and English possibly so that they can point and get meanings across.(maybe you could sit down together to find most used phrases?) I am sure that its good for us as parents to experience these things out of country to understand what our children are going through. Get plenty of rest and take care of the mommy person.

Sammy said...

Have you tried putting her on www.starfall.com to occupy her time? I used that a lot this last time. I let them learn at their own pace. Also, the school does a lot.

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

that is a hilarious picture :) he he he he.... PRAYING it gets better for you. I can only imagine the struggle that happens.

Anonymous said...

absolutely no idea how you summon the strength to engage with all your kids and keep your cool. I struggle with this and don't do a good job and I don't have half of what is on your plate. simply amazing.