Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Mystery Of The Missing Ham

Before the Christmas season ends, I must share the story of the missing ham!

A few days before Christmas my sister and her family came to visit. It's always a cause for celebration when the relatives arrive!



And then we all went to their cabin in the woods, which is always a BLAST!  Movie nights, the Cousin Spa, snow ball fights, and Twister!




Walks to the country store for hot chocolate and ice cream,






Marshmallow roasting, and just plain family fun!





I didn't blog about it because, even tho I was extra organized this Christmas, I had failed to complete one  great big, very important project.  One that took up every last second and wasn't completed until Christmas Eve--Rose's Christmas stocking!


Anyhoo, we bid farewell to my sister and all the cabin fun, and arrived home just before the Christmas festivities went into full gear. 

I was going over the plans for Christmas dinner with my mom, and she said she would bring the ham.  But I reminded her that she already had!  The ham was out in my garage fridge.

"Oh," said my mom, sounding confused, "I guess I put it in there when we stopped by the other day!"

She even went on to ask my dad and he paused, then said he guessed they had put it there! 

And then I began to question that I really had seen a ham out in my fridge, so I asked Hubby, and he said that yes, there was a ham out in our extra fridge.

Ham.  Check.

Christmas day arrives.  Early morning I go to get the ham.

No ham.  Hubby double checks.  No ham.  My parents arrive.  No ham.  Because the ham was already at our house.  Except that it wasn't.  I look in every last fridge and freezer crevice!  No ham!

Had the Grinch arrived in the night to steal our ham?

As we went through all the possibilities, it occurred to me that when I had seen the ham, I had also seen groceries my sister had purchased to take to their cabin. 

Did my own sister steal accidentally take our ham?!?!

We decided to substitute roast.  A small roast.  A small, inexpensive, low-quality, still frozen roast. 

And then we proceeded to roast call my sister.  Did she have an extra ham?  OUR ham?

Yes, my sister had a ham!  ONE ham.  We all laughed about it!  My sister immediately began to panic!  Caught in the act???  Of stealing our Christmas ham??

She began to think through her Costco shopping adventure.  Yes, she did look at the hams.  Yes, she did consider buying a ham, even tho she knew they already had a turkey for their Christmas dinner.  But wouldn't it be nice to have both?  But did they need both?  But there would be lots of people at the cabin. 

Her memory continued back to that day.  Did she grab the ham?  Or didn't she? 

The evidence pointed to the fact that she DIDN'T.  After all, WE DID HAVE A MISSING HAM. 

AND SHE DID HAVE A HAM IN HER FRIDGE!

My sister was totally flustered and we put her on speaker phone, and laughed and teased her about stealing our Christmas ham.  She profusely apologized, blushed along 300 miles of phone wire, then good-naturedly joined in the laughter, tagging herself the Grinch.

As we put the frozen roast in the crock pot, we joked about it being a ham.

And just as we were serving Christmas dinner, we took this picture and texted it to my sister, telling her it looked like ham to us! 


Even tho it was awfully small.  And dry.  And hard to chew. 

More laughter.  But, we still enjoyed a very delicious Christmas dinner. 

But later, just as we were sitting down to dessert, my sister sent a text. 

A text with a picture.  A picture of her Costco receipt, with the purchase price circled FOR A HAM!

HER HAM!

And so, instead of eating Oreo Cookie Dessert, we sat down to a piece of HUMBLE PIE!

We laughed and laughed.

And later, when my parents got back to their house, they looked in their freezer, and found OUR HAM!

The mystery of the missing ham solved! 

We will laugh about it for years to come!

3 comments:

Sennie said...

That is hilarious!! Totally something my sister & I would have done:-D
Happy New Year!!

Kelli said...

Your family is so much fun!! Can we move out there and be a part of it? :)

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I have to tell you that I love when someone posts your blog on facebook. Then I'm reminded to come catch up, and I read everything I've missed. You're such a great writer!
(Krista)