Monday, February 20, 2012

Let the Little Children Come To Me

"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."       ~       Matthew 19:14

On Sunday, Vu was baptized.  It was a truly blessed event.  He has been asking to be baptized for some time, and I kept putting it off, waiting for a time when one of his godparents could be present (our kids each have two sets of godparents-one from family, one friends).  Vu's godparents all live far away.

But then, two Sundays ago in church, they announced they would be doing baptisms and Vu said rather loudly to me, "Mom!  Why won't you ever let me get baptized!?" 

Bad Mommy moment.  Bad.  Guilty as charged!  And the verse above jumped into my mind.

I realized I WAS hindering my son--baptism isn't about waiting for the perfect timing! 



Vu chose to wear his Vietnamese ao dai.  He looked quite splendid!

He gave his own testimony in church.  It was so sweet.  He said, "In Vietnam I didn't know God.  But then, my Mom and Dad taught me about God.  And I read books.  And I said prayers a lot.  And now I know God." 

When asked if he wanted to be baptized he said, "Yes!  Very much!" 

As it turned out, his godmother, Aunt L.,  flew out for 24 hours.  How special is that?


“Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened, And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.”
~ Luke 3:21-22



4 comments:

Nancy said...

What a gorgeous young man! Inside and out. Congratulations!
nancy

Shonni said...

How adorable he is!

Anne-Marie said...

brings tears to my eyes. What a wonderful testimony he shared. And so great that he wanted to wear his ao dai for the event.

Dori said...

What an incredible post! A beautiful day, a beautiful son (just look at him beaming with joy!), a beautiful child of God . . . CONGRATS!!!