Monday, April 9, 2012

The Journey: Redemption Part 2

I guess the only place to start is at the beginning.  I shared Mei Mei's story here--the beginning of our journey together. 

When I first saw her picture I began praying, asking God for confirmation that this child was really meant to be ours.  Once we received her file I continued to pray.  A verse came to me in a dream that very night--a powerful verse that I returned to again and again:

"God places the lonely in families"
                                                      ~Psalm 68:6

At the time, the verse didn't make sense.  Our understanding was that Mei Mei was in a loving foster family, surrounded by community.  We assumed she had friends at school and perhaps foster siblings.  How could she be lonely?  While I didn't understand, I knew God was speaking to my heart.



We signed our letter of intent to adopt Mei Mei.

Mei Mei had been waiting on the shared list for years.  Early on we discovered she had never been to school, partly because of her orphan status (common in many parts of the world). 

Mei Mei's lack of schooling was definitely a concern.  We assumed she was being "homeschooled" (yes, this is where you can insert a laugh at my inability to think through a cultural lens as any MSW student should!).  Later on, we learned she lacked any schooling whatsoever, even the most basic skills.   We were told she wasn't "clever," but she was "intelligent."  (Can you spell lost in translation?)  We wondered if maybe she had learning disabilities?   

I have to admit that had we known all this in the beginning, we would have been too afraid to accept her referral.  We could have declined her referral once we received this information, but we already felt she was ours.  We loved her from afar!   We knew we would be starting at square one with her education, and it felt scary--very scary--but she was our daughter and we were determined to bring her home, surround her with love, and help her reach her full potential. 

I thanked God that we hadn't known all the details in the beginning. 

I thanked God for our sweet Mei Mei.

"God places the lonely in families."

The verse was beginning to make more sense.

2 comments:

Shonni said...

Waiting and loving to read about your story to your newest daughter.

Alison said...

Thank you so much for continuing to share your heart and love for God's children with us even when the story can be hard at times. I am so grateful for your example and will be praying more for you during this time of transition and unknowns for your sweet Mei Mei. I am trusting in the truth that from every cross and suffering that we unite to Christ, there is resurrection glory (in my own family right now and also claiming it for yours). How beautiful it is to remember and reflect upon especially during this Easter week.