Wednesday, May 9, 2012

And On The 66th Day . . .

On the 66th day of our life together, Mei Mei came over to me . . .

and stood quietly by me . . .

and looked at me pensively . . . and then, oh then, the most wonderful thing happened!

She sat on my lap.

Mei Mei sat on my lap as if it was the most natural thing in the whole wide world!  Which is the way it's supposed to be for a mother and child.  But that's not the way it's been for us. 

Before, there were rare occasions she would sit on my lap, but she would sit stiffly, and only to mimic her siblings.  She would sit straight up.  And she would giggle, as if she were expecting me to tickle her at any minute.  And she would immediately hop back off.

But today?  Today she was relaxed.  And she even snuggled down onto me.  What joy!

I had been sitting next to Lan Lan watching a video on YouTube when Mei Mei came over.

And when she sat down, I tried to act non-chalant, as if it was something that happened every day.

But inside? I was celebrating with joy!  I didn't want to move.  And I didn't.  After about fifteen minutes I put my arms loosely around her and yet still, she stayed, even more relaxed.  Lan Lan continued to click away on more videos.  And I let her. 

Laura Story--Blessings

My legs were falling asleep, I needed to use the restroom, but I didn't want to move.  And I was fighting back tears as the current video played What Makes You Beautiful By One Direction (which I originally thought was One Erection--and remembering that made me laugh instead of cry.)

Mylie Cyrus--The Climb

Taylor Swift--Eyes Open

Mei Mei still sitting--even snuggling--her bony little bottom causing my legs to fall off and my bladder to explode! 

And me, still afraid to move.  Wishing I had a picture of this moment.  Knowing it will forever be etched in my mind. 

Justin Bieber--Baby

Susan Boyle--I Dreamed A Dream

And with that song, I couldn't help but cry tears of joy.  I had truly been dreaming of this moment for so long--wondering if it would ever come?  Wondering if she would ever learn to trust me enough to let me hold her.  We had been spending our days together, taking baby steps forward--only to seemingly start all over again the very next morning.

But today?  Today was the day! 



Celebration!!!!

(Self portrait compliments of Mei Mei herself!)

11 comments:

kathy said...

What a wonderful gift for your heart.

Lisa said...

Love that post:) Totally worth the bladder burst!

thecurryseven said...

Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!

Doing the happy dance with you!

e

Alex and Riann said...

Eyes wet here with laughter and with aching joy...

amber said...

:)so happy - your post made me cry. thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Yay
what wonderful sweet joy.

Erika

Stanzi said...

And the LORD smiled even BIGGER!!! Coll

One Thankful Mom said...

Such happiness to see Jesus draw her closer and knit her into the family. I'm happy for you!

Sally-Girl! said...

Happy for you and happier for her!!!

Ann said...

Thank you all for your blessed comments! Yes, it is a joy to see the way Jesus is working in our hearts and as you said Sally--it is even a greater joy to know she is finally feeling safer and learning to trust her mama! Since that day, she has sat on my lap multiple times! PRAISING GOD!

Stevens Family said...

Oh tears of joy for you and your sweet girl. What a beautiful triumph.