Monday, June 25, 2012

Cleft Lip And Palate

Kim is doing really well--all things considered.  She did wake up asking why her nose hurt--guess those amnesia drugs really did the trick!

We are now up in her hospital room, she's had a wee bit of blue Gatorade and is now blissfully sleeping away.  Thank you morphine.

I sit watching her sleep, nose under a taped splint, lip red with fresh stitches.  My heart breaks.  Again.  I can't help but think about the number of times I've sat in this very hospital--nine to be exact--worrying and praying and thanking God for this sweet girl.

And I can't help but thank God that we were so naive when we accepted Kim's adoption referral.  We would have been too afraid.  We didn't know she would need so many surgeries-most kids with clefts don't.  We didn't know she would need such extensive orthodontics--most kids with clefts do.  We didn't know she would need so many years of speech therapy--some do, some don't, just like all kids.

But really?

Cleft lip and palate just isn't that big of a deal. 

A child born with a cleft lip and palate is just like any other kid 364 days a year, laughing and eating chocolate ice cream cones, and learning to do cartwheels and having sleep overs with friends.  And one day of the year they have doctor appointments or maybe a surgery. 

Being born with a cleft should never keep a child from having a family.  Having a cleft should never keep a family from adopting a child.

Really.  Cleft lip and palate just isn't that big of a deal. 

All kids have special needs--some just aren't known until later--and honestly?  I consider Patrick's asthma and allergies to be a much more concerning special need than Kim's.   Patrick's is a challenge on a daily basis.  

I wouldn't say that cleft lip and palate is a minor special need, simply because it requires ongoing treatment.  There can be challenges with feeding and eating before the palate is fully repaired.  There will be surgeries, orthodontics, possibly ear tubes and speech therapy.

But really, cleft lip and palate just isn't that big of a deal. 

I am so thankful we have this sweet girl in our family.  She is beautiful, confident, loving, happy and humorous.

And really, I repeat, having a cleft just isn't that big of a deal.

4 comments:

Anna said...

Thankful she is doing well. We had a scary week with our adopted little one two weeks ago and I said the same thing. If I was told about the new diagnosis then I would have been scared and said no. I am so glad that it was different. God knows me better then I know myself. Hugs.

thecurryseven said...

So glad the surgery went well and that you are all on this side of it.

e

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Praying her healing goes well!

Gretchen said...

I remember you saying this to us as we accepted our referral for Isaac and it was so comforting. Four years later (four!!) I know this to be so true! It adds a little to the weekly schedule with speech, but my other kiddos take extra time, too. Prayers for quick healing!!!