Monday, June 11, 2012

Today I laughed. Today I cried.

The school year is almost over.  We have lots of papers coming and going--kids cleaning out desks and kids taking in thank you notes for teachers. 

Today I laughed and cried. 

I laughed reading Patrick's note to his teacher:

Dear Ms. M.
Hi!  It's Patrick here to right a letter.  I'm doing this on my free time so I'm anxious to get it over with.  But this is a thank you note so let me get this done.  I had a fun time in science, and it was my favorite content rotation.  I liked the "are you smarter then a 6th grader?" the most.  Bless the gods that I got you as my teacher and I hope you have a great summer. 

Can't you just feel the love?  Especially at the beginning of the note?   

And then I was going through Lan Lan's school papers and found the following:

Joe is heaven,
I like you.  You nice Joe.  You my brother.  I sad you cancer.  I'm you sister.  It is Lan Lan.  Joe you is heaven.  It is fun stay.  Mom miss you.  Mom sad and sad. 

Our sweet Joe--never far from our hearts--even the siblings he never had the chance to meet.  And it breaks my heart that one of the first English words my kids learn is "cancer." 



Today I laughed.  Today I cried. 

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I cry with you:( How sweet of Lan Lan. Kids are so wise. I'm sure they feel Joe with them as their angel, too:) Love and hugs from Florida.

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud, as did Genevieve! And then my heart was happy to think that Joe is touching his siblings...that he is still so present! Love you! (Krista)

To China and Back said...

Precious... you have a very sweet daughter to be so understanding of your feelings. She will learn a lot about life by being so observant.