Saturday, September 1, 2012

1,000

Today marks 1,000.  I have been blogging for almost six years, and I'm shocked to discover that I've actually sat down to post 1,000 times.  Really?

1,000! 

1,000 times we laughed, or cried, or simply had coffee together. 

Thanks for listening.

Like a mother reminisces over her baby who has grown into a teen, I look back and marvel.  So much has happened. 

So much sadness.  Enough to fill 1,000 years.  1,000,000 times.

So much happiness.  Enough to fill 1,000 years.  1,000,000 times. Times 1,000.

I have witnessed incredible miracles--like the birth of our first grandchild.


What amazing joy to meet this perfect gift from God.





 
 
Can I just say she's the most beautiful baby in the world?  (I'm her Grammy, I can brag if I want to!)


I have often thought about why I blog--and if I should continue.  I always come back to the same conclusions: my blog is my catharsis, history, scrapbook and social/family network.  I love to share about the joys and challenges of adoption, large families, parenting, LIFE--the laughter, joy, and hope and that every day brings. 

And I love to share about things that nobody else wants to hear--like how I once shaved my legs in the car.  Good times people!

I DON'T love to share about death and dying and loss and torment and hell and destruction and living life with a son lost to cancer.  I sometimes do.  It's always raw.  And it feels bi-polar to follow up that post with any other topic.  The Day My Son Died And Took Half My Heart With Him . . . . I Peed My Pants While Texting a Picture Of A Port-A-Potty.  The depths of despair to the heights of glory--all in the same day--that is my life.

Sometimes, I have so many words I can't capture them fast enough; others, I flounder for days to find anything at all to say. 

Often, I have considered taking my blog private, mostly to protect my children's privacy.  And I would like to openly discuss certain topics--many APs naively (erroneously) believe their blogs are not followed at international bureaucratic levels.  They are.  Seriously.  Not that mine is.  At least, I hope not, because if it is they must be very confused about how I got approved for adoption when I post about things like my history as a stalker.  That poor man is, no doubt, still traumatized. 

And I would like to talk about things that I just can't talk about for reasons I can't talk about.  Maybe someday. 

And the reason I decide NOT to go password protected?

Because more than anything, I pray that Jesus will find a way to use me. I pray Jesus will work through my fingers to help HIM--in whatever humble way that might be.   And you just never know when that will be--or how. 

Which is why I can't wait to share post #1,001.

In the meantime, I would love to hear from you!  My blog followers!  I know you are out there--but you are often so silent!  Now is the time to come forth!  Speak!  I demand you to speak!!!

Sorry to sound so PMSish--I'll rephrase that--please comment, pretty please?

If you prefer, you can e-mail me: r8rgr8 @ frontier (dot) com  (remove spaces)  (And yes, I know, we need to change our e-mail address to reflect our growing number of children--does my delay say anything about past experiences in changing an e-mail address?  I'd rather get a PAP smear while simultaneously having my wart frozen off and my eyebrows waxed!)

I would love to know if there is a post that especially resonated with you?  One that made you laugh, or cry, or love me, or hate me.  Surely, in those 1,000, there is a reason you are still here with me.  Humor me. 

CHEERS!  To another 1,000!!! 


Up next--an incredible story of how God can use a blog to bring about love, faith, and the miracle of adoption!

17 comments:

To China and Back said...

I think I have been following your blog for about 4 years. I have pmed you on Holt's Bb in the past. We have a large family with a mix of children who came to us through bio and adoption. There aren't too many families out there as crazy as ours, so it is wonderful to "visit" with yours.

Anonymous said...

i love your blog. love reading about your beautiful (and explanding) family. love your craziness and willingness to share it. love that you show some (just some) of the hard parts of adoption, not just the cute pictures and sanitized stories. Please keep it up. Seeing a new post of yours always gives me a happy little jolt in the middle of my day.

thecurryseven said...

Congratulations on 1000 posts and on that new grandbaby. I'm so glad you finally got to meet her in person.

I've resigned myself to no one (or hardly anyone) commenting on my blog. Perhaps that's why I try to comment on other's. I feel your pain.

And I have to say, your post about the time you were a stalker is one of my favorite posts from anyone, ever. I think I nearly peed my pants laughing and I still laugh even just thinking about it.

But you know the best thing about blogging? It's that they helped two people meet and become good friends who would never have come across each other in other circumstances!

I love the pictures of your new granddaughter!

e

asian~treasures said...

Well, I don't always comment...because I type something & then think, that might not come across as I want. Or, I don't comment because I'm not creative or witty.

Anyway, if you need one small reason to not stop (or go private): don't because I recently encouraged a family on the Holt BB to check out our blog. :)

Ann said...

Thank you to everyone who has commented! I feel like we are actually celebrating together and, of course, I love to hear that you enjoy our times together. I truly love getting to know my readers and, like E. said, sometimes blog readers become treasured friends--so very true! I look forward to meeting more of you--thanks!

kathy said...

Cheers to you!1000 posts! I have gotten to know my friends again from so many yrs ago through your blogs. Thanks for the laughs and updates. Your family is normal and truly entertaining! The LOVE You and Hubby have for one another is good love that has lasted 32 yrs? You are who you are because of each other. Your kids are who they are because of you two together. Now the Grandbaby, Amazingly perfect!!!

Sally-Girl! said...

Cheers to your 1,000 posts! While, I have seemed to fallen off the blog wagon, I do have all the same mixed feelings as you do in blogging. I love what it captures for our family and yet my hope is that I can be a witness for Him when the day is done!

Keep blogging as you often speak to my heart or my funny bone!

Anonymous said...

I am an anonymous follower who found your blog while dealing with adoption issues ... it has helped me so much to know that we are not alone in the special challenges and blessings of adoption.

Thanks for keeping it open and public!

Ivy said...

I was one of those people who was lucky enough to meet you and your family on our trip to adopt our daughter (your Lan Lan trip). After finding out you had nine kids, I have to admit I thought you were crazy. I started reading to see how your family was doing after the trip. Now I read your blog because to learn more because I am afraid I might be going "crazy" too.

emersonsky photography said...

I've been following since our days in Vietnam.... you are encouraging and funny and well, just awesome.
Congratulations on the new grand baby, she is just precious!
-Kelli

S said...

I love your bloc even though I don't plan to adopt and have many less kids. I love your stories, your ability to bring humor,love, structure, absolute joy and respect for each of your children. I love that one post portrays your heartbreak followed by tear inducing hilarity. Your ability to laugh at yourself and poke fun at your husband while your love for him shines through is so refreshing. You make me want to keep working to be a better mom- you inspire me. Thank you for sharing - your posts sound so authentic not contrived.

Ann said...

I am humbled by the comments and feeling the love! I really didn't expect so many compliments (I guess I should do this more often--LOL!), and I'm glad I can add something to your lives, because that is my greatest prayer. I am especially loving the comments so I can feel more connected to you, the reader! Today I am sending all my readers prayers and hugs--how I wish we could all meet someday! Who knows?

Anonymous said...

Seriously, Ann, I look forward to each new installment, each new slice of your family's life. At times I have laughed hysterically and shared it with my family, cried and shared that also with my family, sometimes just happy to connect with you. Thank you for realness, genuineness (did I spell that right, is it a word?), and your animatedness. Now, I know that is not a correct word. Ooops, wish I cared more about that. Anyhow, love it and I can't WAIT to read #1001!!! Coll

Alex and Riann said...

Choose ONE post? I couldn't. God has used you to speak to me about adoption, grief, practical family management and remembering to laugh through these short, crazy days we have on this earth. Thank you. Keep writing, lovely lady.

amber said...

I wrote this long, heartfelt comment about why you absolutely MUST keep blogging (there are so many reasons). Then I went to send it and didn't get the spam-prevention squished up word so my multi-paragraph praise and plead was deleted. Which is one of the reasons you may not know that I actually comment quite frequently (or decidee not to take the chance)... frustrating!

Suffice it to say that you are enjoyed, wanted and needed by other mothers out there! Keep blogging!

Sandra & Steve said...

I am so busy with my...dare I say it?...two...yes...two, lol. That while I read this post days ago I am just now commenting. Late at night, bleary eyed but oh so thankful for your blog, your willingness to share, your insights. You touch me and keep me coming back for more. Thank you!! Congrats on you 1,000th post. Keep them coming please. My two are both girls, our first from VN, home as an infant, our second and oldest home at age eight from Taiwan. Hugs.

Stevens Family said...

I LOVE reading your blog! I have followed along since our journey to Autumn 4 years ago when you brought home sweet Vu. I so enjoy reading and thank you for keeping it going.

There are so many great posts of yours but one that stands out for whatever reason is the one about the difference between girls and boys and the whole farting in the car incident, LOL!! Still think it's just hilarious!