Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Advent

One tradition I always look forward to is our Advent wreath.  I never can seem to find the traditional purple/pink candles, so I usually go with white.


This year we are eating our December dinners in the dining room in an effort to remind us of the true meaning of Advent--the specialness and reverence that Christmas brings. 

I have also been ending dinner with a story from a book about Christian Christmas traditions. 

And just so you know, all my kids love the Advent wreath, but my teens have not been lovin' the family story time.  If anyone has a great advent book, I'd love to hear!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I like The Trees Kneel At Christmas, which is about Syrian immigrants. But my children would say it is no contest for our other Advent read aloud, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

asian~treasures said...

We have our advent wreath out, too. It's special because Grandpa made it.

This year, we're reading "Jotham's Journey." Have you heard of it?

It's abt a 10 yr old who heads across Israel to find his family. And, ultimately, ends up in Bethlehem in a stable.

My 6 & 8 yr old are loving it!

Stephanie said...

Here are two options...
http://themommyhoodmemos.com/2012/11/advent-jesus-storybook-bible/
The readings are too much for my girls right now (ages 2, 3, 4) so we are doing this...
http://nadiaswearingen-friesen.blogspot.com/2010/12/story-that-is-meant-to-touch.html In her blogpost explaining what they do is a link to her advent devotional. Just 13 readings and after each reading you set out a piece of the nativity.
Hope that helps!

Alex and Riann said...

As a teen, I enjoyed Best Christmas Pageant Ever and The House Without a Christmas Tree, though they aren't advent books. Right now we are reading The Homecoming for the first time (and it would be a good one for teens -- we have done a little editing for our ages). Again, not an advent book, but a good Christmas book.For the middle kids, maybe your crew would enjoy The Jesse Tree by G. McCaughrean? In story form it focuses on the lineage of Christ. Excellent. We have been collecting ornaments to go with the readings.

Ann said...

Oh My! So many great choices! Thank you so much to you all! Another reason I love to blog!