Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Secrets To Successful Older Child Adoption

Adopting an older child from Asia?

You simply must learn the secret of school lunchtime success.

A good thermos!


A good thermos will run about $15 and will have metal inside (not plastic). 

First, fill the empty thermos with boiling water.  Then, heat up the food--soup/rice/dumplings/pasta-- nice and hot.  Dump out the hot water and put in the hot food.  It will still be toasty warm at lunchtime!  Yum! 

And for the record, I do not think parents should force their older adoptees to just eat American food and deal.  I will eat almost anything.  Except for fish and seafood.  And seaweed and turtles and eel.  SO, I have great compassion for my kids because I know that if I had to suddenly move to Asia and eat all the foods that are common there, I would STARVE TO DEATH!

Allowing my kids to eat familiar foods (while still encouraging them to try new foods), is one less change they have to make and one less thing to disagree on.  I also allow open access to healthy food all day, especially the first few months they are home.  This is HUGE is overcoming hoarding of food--something all our kids stopped doing within days of coming home--once they realized they can always eat.

Food = security.  Food = nutrition.

Our kids need both.  Lan Lan has gained THIRTY(!) pounds since coming home (and she still wears a size slim!).  
 
And for your viewing entertainment, some photos that Lizzy took awhile back that I never posted.  Love to see how Mei Mei is coming alive with the love of good nutrition and a family!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

Sally-Girl! said...

I totally agree that kids need their comfort foods. I have a friend who has a Korean foreign exchange student and she refuses to buy Korean food for her!!! She says she is in a vegan household and will eat vegan. She signed up for it! UGH!! So last week she spent the night and I made a Korean dinner for her. She loved it like I was Korean myself!!!

Thanks for reminder about thermos too. I had bought one and forgot. MY Chinese boys LOVE when I make them noodles!!!

asian~treasures said...

I completely agree, but will way this work for toddler adoption, too.
My Vietnamese girlie came home @ 2 1/2 & lived on noddles & shrimp crackers for about 3 wks before she trused us enough to try anything else. Also, learned that she "drank" of a spoon...no cup,no bottle, no sippy. It was HUGE for us to know that.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately a really 'good' thermos is deemed ugly in our house since it doen't come with Hello Kitty on it. And the noodles just won't stay hot:0(

Alison

Ann said...

Alison, Thermos brand does make a metal thermos with characters. I'm not sure if they have Hello Kitty, but we have one with Star Wars. The key is to put in the boiling water to first heat up the thermos, then pour out the water and immediately add the food, which is also super hot. My kids say that even at lunch time the food is still steaming hot. Hopefully this helps :-)

Ann said...

Oh, and Target carries the metal character thermos, with a large selection in the late summer when school shopping is in full force.