Saturday, September 21, 2013

A Legacy of Love and Time

My dad's memorial service was incredibly sad -- yet uplifting.  There was such a sense of healing and hope--knowing he is now with Jesus, no longer suffering, and that his legacy lives on through all the lessons and happy memories that he left us. 

My husband gave the eulogy and he did a wonderful job.  His words made me laugh . . . and cry.  And the one thing that keeps coming back to me is a truth he shared in the eulogy--my dad always had TIME.  Time for the big things and time for the little things.  Time for community service, church, family and friends.

Dad was always willing to lend a helping hand, give advice, tell a funny story, encourage, smile, and play with his grandkids.  He always had time to read the kids stories and play games--lots of them!  I remember so often taking one of my children aside and telling them they needed to give their grandfather a break because the man wouldn't say no!  He wouldn't say no when someone asked for his time--he gave it away with a smile.  And it was true whether it was someone who knew him well or someone who hardly knew him at all.  Dad had time for everyone around him.



 
Time.  That was one of my father's greatest gifts.  And even though I always knew it was true, it wasn't until now that I see it so very clearly.  Funny how that happens.  Time is truly a gift of love.

I'm left pondering the legacy my father leaves behind--considering how to continue it on and make more time for those around me. Too often I let the seemingly urgent overtake the truly important.  I want to change that.  Time.  I am reminded of the famous words of Nelson Mandela.

"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And that I am sure has made for lots of wonderful and treasured memories. :) praying for your family at this time.

God bless you all


Erika

Mamita J said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your dad must have been something special.

Sammy said...

He sounds like he was a wonderful man! And, now he gets to be with the Lord!

kathy said...

What a privilege for Clay to give the eulogy. Wow! And yes time is precious. Giving it is something I need to do more. Thank you