Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Great Read-Aloud Books

 
My husband reading to our firstborn
 
Great read-alouds can also be found in recorded books.  I am currently on the hunt for some new favorites in recorded books. (Aren't you proud of me?  I have finally quit saying "books-on-tape"-- therefore proving that with enough years the brain can learn new terminology!) 
 
Sometimes great books are ruined by a lousy reader (and unfortunately that reader is often the author).  Sometimes accents make a book difficult to understand, especially for kids who struggle with auditory learning.  If we start a book and just can't get past those things I simply throw it in the book return and start a new one. 
 
Anyhoo, here are a few recorded books my kids have loved over the years. Some of these we have just discovered and some have been suggested by you! These are mostly for elementary ages and above--sorry to not include the author but I am being lazy!
 
The Hatchet (one of our all-time favorites about a boy lost in the wilderness)
Mrs. Pigglewiggle (another that a variety of ages will love--funny and entertaining!  This is also a great book for kids still learning English)
Flipped (speaking of great books for ESL--this story is told from two different angles giving kids a chance to hear each event twice--teaches great values about friendship and judging others)
Peak (adventure about the youngest boy to climb Mt. Everest--received thumbs up from all my kids)
Anne of Green Gables (I loved this one more than my kids--how did I miss this book growing up?)
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon (Chinese folktale with magical creatures, dragons, adventure)
The Twits (short and funny) The BFG (a brave girl and a big-hearted giant)
Beezus and Ramona and Henry Huggins (anything by Beverly Cleary is great)
Knucklehead (boy fun and boy adventure)
Soup (old-fashioned mischief and adventures)
The Lightening Thief (about a boy with dyslexia who discovers he is the son of a Greek god--excitement throughout the book!) 
Harry Potter Series (of course!) 

Happy Summer Reading! 
 


No comments: