Saturday, June 14, 2014

The (Lost) Art of Cursive Writing

One of my summer goals is to teach my kids cursive.  It is no longer taught in our public schools, which I think is a shame because it is a form of art and there is nothing as wonderful as a hand-written note in cursive.  I want my kids to be able to write it and read it!  

The importance really hit me when Paul got his driver's permit but didn't know how to write his name in cursive!  Crazy! 

I recently came across this article in The New York Times"What's Lost as Handwriting Fails?" by Maria Konnikova.  It is fascinating and discusses how the brain is positively affected in unique ways when using cursive.  Now, I am more determined than ever to make it part of our summer learning.  (FYI-My children do not share my excitement!) 

And for those nay-sayers of cursive, you will be happy to know we will also be working on keyboarding this summer (using Mavis Beacon).  My kids are more excited about this. 

And, just in case you were wondering, we do have some fun stuff planned too! 

Things like cleaning the entryway lamp, which we tackled today. 


Lots of summer fun folks.  Lots of summer fun. 

1 comment:

Sheila Lowe said...

As president of the American Handwriting Analysis Foundation, I'm very happy to hear your plan. Please visit www.cursiveiscool.com, which is part of the Foundation.
It's true the many public schools no longer teach cursive, but some still do, and more states are coming around to rejecting the common core curriculum, which removed the requirement to teach it. Good work! Maybe if you show the kids some historical writings and some celebrities--available on google images--they'll be more enthusiastic. When I speak at middle and high schools, they're fascinated to see how Beyonce writes, or Abraham Lincoln, for example.