Sunday, November 30, 2014

Starters and Cheerleaders

I've learned some important life lessons.  One is that even a short trip to see loved ones is worth the money. 

To prove it, feast your eyes on a recent trip to see my son and his family.  I was only there for 2 days but it was so worth it--our granddaughter is growing up fast!
 
 
 
 
 

A more recent life lesson is the incredible importance that positive people play in my children's lives--both "starters" and "cheerleaders."  I've always recognized the importance of mentors--the "big players" like relatives and Godparents and coaches who are super involved in my kids' lives.  Those relationships are the mortar that helps hold their lives together.  It means so much to my kids to have other adults who love them unconditionally and take the time to be involved.  My recent life lesson is that something as simple as sending a postcard or a text adds up to make a big difference.  It's the on-going "I love you, and I'm thinking about you, and I'm here for you" communication. 

And I've recently truly learned the incredible importance of the "cheerleaders"--every small kindness adds up.  Kids (especially teens) need lots of fans!  My friend Suzy is an example.  She is one of those people who is always positive, but unfortunately we don't spend time together outside our annual campout.  Yet even though we aren't close friends, Suzy makes herself well known to my children--she is one of their greatest cheerleaders on Facebook where she can be counted on to make positive, encouraging comments on a regular basis.  Cheerleaders like Suzy make my kids' lives richer. 

Every kindness counts.  And every single adult who takes time for kids means SO MUCH!  Thank you to those who take time for my kids and make the world a better place with their involvement in young lives. 
 
My hope is that I can work a little harder to be both a starter and a sideline cheerleader to all the kids in my life.  One person can AND DOES make a HUGE difference!



No comments: