Saturday, June 27, 2015

Just Call Me Poke'mom

If you asked my kids today if I was a cool mom they would say no.  Because I've been on a bedroom cleaning quest today.  So not fun.
 
But if you asked my kids last weekend, they would definitely say I WAS the cool mom.  At least Vu would.
 
Vu has been wanting to go to a video game tournament for a long time.  He kept telling me about these gatherings all over the US where gamers get together and compete.  I kid you not.  There are even internet sites that advertise and track.  But Vu has never been able to find one in our state. 
 
Soooo, when he found one a couple hours from our home he was ecstatic!  Problem # 1: It was the very next day.  Two hours away.  Problem #2: I was convinced this was probably not even a real tournament.  It was probably some pervert trying to trick kids into their lair.  Problem #3: It was two hours away.  The next day.  Problem #4: I looked up the address and the tournament was on the grounds of a university, but I was convinced it was a frat house.  Some crazy group of college guys getting stoned.  Playing video games.  Problem #5: It was the next day.  Two hours away. 
 
But Vu doesn't ask for a lot.  He is a kid that is pretty content with life.  And he REALLY wanted to go to the tournament.  For Super Smash Bros. Melee--his favorite game!
 
So, he asked, very, very sweetly.  And we went.  Yes, the next day.  Two hours away.  Vu and Mei Mei went, along with Vu's friend.
 
When we arrived my son and his friend jumped out of the car with video game controllers in their hands.  I was like, "Um, no, you cannot go in there looking like total nerds carrying around a video game controller!"  Please, let me save you from certain embarrassment!  "Besides, it's not like you are going to play!  Random people don't show up at a tournament and play video games!"  Right?
 
They both tried to convince me that people DO walk around video game tournaments carrying video game controllers.  Yeah.  Right. 
 
Try though I might I could not convince them to save themselves by leaving the controllers in the car. 
 
They insisted. 
 
So, we walked into the legitimate college lecture hall (no frat house or weed in sight!) to see about 150 mostly college-age-males (and a few females) carrying around video game controllers. 
 
 
Live and learn. 
 
My son (and his friend) rightfully gave me the "I told you so!" look! 
 
 
Much deserved. 
 
There were 50 TVs all hooked up to a video system games.  There was a legitimate tournament going on with big screens, but anyone could hook into the other systems to play a round for fun.  And it was free!
 
It was so much fun to see how welcoming the older guys were with my kids.  I think they were impressed that Vu is a decent player (and I'm not exactly proud of that fact!). 
 
 
 
I was the only mom there and I admit I felt VERY out of place. 
 
Probably because I didn't have a game controller to tote around.  But also maybe because I was wearing high heeled sandals, bright orange capris, and a cute purse.
 
 
Note to self: Next tournament wear a Super Smash Bros t-shirt, jeans, Converse shoes, and a backpack. 
 
And yes, carry a controller.
 
Oh, and have a nickname.  Did you know that gamers all have nicknames?  Neither did I.  So while I was standing around, watching gamers for hours, I came up with mine.
 
Poke'MOM.  Pretty cool, huh?
 
 

1 comment:

S said...

Hysterical!!!! Go cool mom!!