Saturday, August 15, 2015

Camping Successes--And Fails

Our recent camping expedition was a lot of fun--and we learned some new camping wins.
 
There were two fails:
 
 
Leaving the lights on in the car = dead battery.  Twice.  And in our state it is not easy to find someone to give the car a jump because there are so many hybrids.  What a hoot!
 
The other was much more concerning.  In all my years of parenting we have never called an ambulance.  That is now past tense.  Patrick had a really bad bike collision with another boy.  He was in shock and thought he had broken his arm.  He laid on the pavement without moving for 20 minutes until the ambulance arrived.  Luckily, both boys were okay--although I'm STILL not sure I've fully recovered from that horrible, terrifying feeling.  I was literally shaking--long after Patrick had gone back to hanging out with his friends. 
 
 
On a positive note we discovered some new tricks of the trade. 
 
Since we sold the Big Blue Beast we rented a trailer.  Not a trailer trailer.  We still use tents.  It was a U-Haul trailer but such a WIN!  And totally worth the $.
 
 
 
My sister also created an amazing camping oven and she made deliciousness such as chili cheese fries and apple cobbler.  Yum!  I'm guessing you can Google how to make one?  It includes a foil lined box and charcoal.
 
 
She also brought the recipe for "omelet in a bag."  Put a couple eggs, cheese, and desired toppings in a ziplock FREEZER quart bag and place in a pot of boiling water until done (you need a large pot).  Yum!
 
 
Other wins were Starbucks Via instant coffee, Cup of Noodles (a camping staple), and on the last night, PIZZA DELIVERY right to the campground!  Now THAT'S my kind of camping! 
 
An idea from a friend--instead of sending the kids to the campground shower with shampoo and soap (which is inevitably left in the shower!) send 3-in-1 shampoo, conditioner, and body wash in a paper cup.  Shazam! 
 
 
Fire starters are the bomb.com and baby wipes are my new favorite camping item.  Oh, and did I tell you that we had tent sites with ELECTRIC outlets this year???  We strung sweet garden lights all around our campsite, made great use of our rice cooker, and -- get this -- I was so cold at night that I bought an electric heating pad and then proceeded to sleep in a warm cocoon.  I don't think I will ever be able to camp without electricity again! 
 
 
HAPPY CAMPING!
 

No comments: