Monday, August 17, 2015

How To Make Your Car Bigger--Large Family Living

Outgrowing your vehicle?  Need more space? 
 
Have I got a deal for you!
 
When we downsized from our Big Blue Beast it was tough.  I LOVED my Momster, because it could carry a huge amount of people and half our household!  But alas, it was breaking down all . the . time.  It also got 10 miles to the gallon.  I don't miss that part.
 
But going on trips has been tight.  To say the least.  We still haul 6 kids on a regular basis and the vehicle we use is an 8-seat Honda Pilot.  Yea.  Sardines.  (We do provide roadside entertainment at stops as strangers watch the clown-show pile out.)
 
Once we get all the people in the car, there's not much room for anything else.  We rented a utility trailer for camping, but for normal trips we've recently found quite the way to extend our vehicle.
 
First, we put on a car-top carrier.  You would be amazed how many kids much stuff we can fit up there--including golf clubs and sleeping bags. 
 
 
 
And now Hubby found this awesome invention for the back--it's called a Hitch Haul.  It attaches to the hitch on the back of the car.  It was only $80, can hold 300 pounds, and carries our giant cooler and a large box of food. 
 
 
Hubby says it's important to make sure it has a long enough neck to allow your tailgate on your vehicle to open, or you will have to remove the hitch every time you need to open the back.  You can find this awesome addition at most sporting goods stores--even Target or Walmart.  (And no, I do not get any money for endorsing this product.  But if you love yours you can send me coffee and chocolate.)
 
The only caveat I would add is that it would be easy to forget it is on the car while backing up.  We have a back-up camera that sends a reminder signal, but if I didn't have that I know I would need a little sticky note on my steering wheel to remind me.  Because I am very much like my cousin Dory in Finding Nemo.   My memory is often lacking.  I saw Dory on a recent trip to the aquarium. 
 
 
Come to think of it, is Dory yellow--or blue?  (See what I mean?)

Anyhoo, we've figured out how to haul all the stuff for a trip--now if we can just figure out how to add more legroom to the inside  of the car. 
 
 
 
Uh-huh.  Hmmm. 

No comments: