Thursday, October 29, 2015

Happy Birthday Kalkidan!

We are celebrating Kalkidan with my dear bloggy friend Lisa.  Today should be her daughter's 14th birthday, but her daughter passed away last year after a tragic car accident.  Lisa has asked that we remember Kalkidan by posting a photo wearing orange, Kalkidan's favorite color.
I had planned to take a quick photo and post it to facebook.  I have so much to do today to get ready for China.  Soooo many work deadlines it seems impossible, and so many last minute things to tie up.  I had planned to work like a fool.
And then my two boys woke up sick.  That is not allowed when I have too much to do.  And when I'm leaving for China in three days.  And they weren't horribly, incredibly sick.  Just sick enough that I was questioning how sick they really were.  Really?  Are you really so sick you can't go to school?  Can't you just man-up and go to school today?  Because I really have a lot of work today!
I don't have time for sick kids. 
Soooo I planned to work from home and finish that looming to-do list.  I told my boys to watch TV and let me finish my homestudy and don't bother me "unless your hair is on fire or you're throwing up!" (That wonderful, favorite quote, comes from a special 2nd grade teacher.)
And then, as I was putting on my orange shirt for Kalkidan, I was caught up short. 
I need to have time for my kids everyday and especially when they are sick.  I need to pause and take in their sweetness and love.  Even if I'm not really thinking they are all that sick.  Even if I have a to-do list a mile long.  Because we never know how much time we have with our kids.  I should know that better than most. 
And so today the to-do list waits on the counter while we watch a movie together, I make chicken noodle soup (straight out of the can!), and we get in some extra hugs.
Happy Birthday Kalkidan!  You are not forgotten!  You are still making a difference in the world!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good reminder...

Emily said...

Love this. Thank you. We love Kalkidan in our home and both wore orange all day :)

Ben and Emily Wynsma