Saturday, March 19, 2016

Finding His Niche

Sometimes it takes awhile for a child to find their niche.  I expect all my kids to participate in some type of extracurricular activity.  It doesn't have to be throughout the year, but I want them to have something outside of school and home for at least one season of the year.  It can be a sport, activity, leadership, drama, music, club etc..  It's good for them in so many ways.  All of my kids have found at least one extracurricular they are passionate about--some have many. 
 
All except Vu. 
 
Vu tried many activities.  Coming into a sports-minded family he tried soccer, baseball, karate, hip-hop, and basketball.  He had a great attitude, but he wasn't crazy about any of them. 
 
He tried drama and drumming.  He liked them both, but felt nervous about performances and worried endlessly about forgetting his lines or missing the beat. 
 
I worried about Vu.  School is challenging for him and finding an activity he enjoyed proved equally difficult.  He has a same-age brother who seems to excel in several areas, and I worried Vu would compare himself in a negative way. 
 
My mom kept saying we needed to sign Vu up for choir.  Vu's dyslexia tutor kept saying we needed to sign Vu up for choir.  I kept thinking the same.  Indeed, Vu LOVES to sing and he has an incredible memory for lyrics.  He has a sweet voice and was known in his orphanage for his beautiful tone. 
 
So, in January, Vu auditioned for a community choir.  He was nervous, but he got in!  Last week he had two wonderful performances, one at a fancy-schmancy professional concert hall. 
 
 
And yesterday, he was moved up into the high school choir.  He's a tiny guy, so he looks out of place physically, but even he knows that his voice fits in perfectly.  He LOVES choir! 
 
As I watched him perform with pride and joy I almost cried.  Vu has finally found his niche!

3 comments:

Shecki Grtlyblesd said...

Wonderful! :) I have one that enjoyed choir, too. Every child is so different. I'm glad he found his niche.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful for Vu. I have two daughters who sang in a choir beginning in grade 5 until they graduated high school. It was a huge commitment, but such a worthwhile and wonderful experience for both. They eventually moved to the highest level which was a touring choir and were able to "see the world" thanks to their involvement in that choir. Belonging to the choir taught them so much more than musicality--teamwork, commitment, leadership skills, responsibility... I hope it is as wonderful for Vu and your family as it has been for us.

MayLynne

becky said...

good grief, shila, i hadn't visited your blog in quite some time....oh how grown up he is!!!!!!!! I am so happy he is loving choir. Samuel was also diagnosed with dyslexia....i don't think i knew that vu was....our best wishes to all of you!
ps it says email follow up comments to ed's account, but i don't ever see his and have no idea how to change it! : )