Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Why I'm At Freshman Orientation. Again.

Patrick's had some rough days.  He hurt his knee in PE.  Bad.  But Dr. Myself was pretty sure it was just bruised and sprained.  Patrick had to pay the wait-and-see-penance before going to the doctor.  It was a doctor we hadn't seen before and she was a little surprised we hadn't come in right away.  I explained Patrick's #9 of 10 and that I consider myself Board Certified.  She didn't find my humor funny.  She probably thinks I'm Certified all right!  After repeat visits and x-rays she declared his knee bruised and sprained. 


I'm pretty smart.  Although I was surprised at his need for a brace and crutches.  Oops.



But I'm not always a bad mom. 

I went to Freshman Orientation with Patrick this week, which puts me up to attending eight times with eight different kids.  All at the same high school.

Interesting CrazyForKids Fact:  We will have at least one child at our local high school for a total of twenty-six years. Twenty-six years SOLID.  Our high school teachers never get a break from the CrazyForKids family!  I tell them it's called job security.  Some probably equate it to shock therapy.   

Anyhoo, when I chatted with the principal she laughed that I could have just stayed home and given Patrick the orientation.  She's right.  I could have.  But even though it's my eighth round, it's Patrick's first.  He's excited to attend.  And I don't want to cheat my younger kids out of the first-time, positive experiences their older sibling enjoyed. 

So I will sit through orientation again.  And again.  Because sometimes I'm a really good mom. 

2 comments:

Tracy said...

You are such a good mom. I only have four, and I have to keep reminding myself that just because I've "been there, done that" doesn't mean it's not new and important to my younger children. It's a challengd to stay excited about it all sometimes, though.

thecurryseven said...

I'll up your bad mom-ignore the knee story. My oldest hurt her knee one summer. Literally, she just tripped over a log. I spent a couple of months telling her to shake it off. Finally, when at the doctor with another child, I mentioned that her knee was still really bothersome. He looks at me as if I had grown another head, and calmly suggested that perhaps I should bring her in. (Thankfully he and I have a great working relationship and he knows I'm not as flaky as I can seem.) Well, two knee surgeries later, it's (the knee) is functional, but will never be quite right.

e