Friday, May 6, 2016

The Art Of Letter Writing

"Remember life, and then your life becomes a better one,
I made a man so happy when I wrote a letter once."
             ~ Lukas Graham lyrics from "7 Years Old"

Even though it's palpable, there's something intangible about receiving a hand written letter.  One year for Lent I wrote a simple note card to 40 special people in my life--from the local librarian, to our pediatrician, to best friends.  I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you to each life-gift, but I was surprised by the positive joy that ricocheted right back with appreciation, for receiving love via a hand-written note. Some said they cried.

We need to write more letters.  We need to tell each other what we appreciate and how they are loved.  Especially in these times of quick e-mails and even quicker texts.

My sister Lori is an artist when it comes to letter writing.  One might wonder what would make her so amazing?  Well, first, she takes the time to write a letter!  AND it's in her beautiful cursive.  And you know what she writes about?  Simple, ordinary life, but in a way that brings out the details and wonder of life.

With my mom, Lori, and niece

Recently, Mei Mei sent Lori some artwork, and my sister wrote a letter back.  I think a lot of people don't know what to write to a child.  Lori's a natural born teacher and she wrote about everyday things like cleaning out her garden (giving details of the rows she had planted), stacking wood (not her favorite job), and having the horse shoer come to trim the horses hooves, adding, "their hooves have to be trimmed every 6-8 weeks just like our fingernails."  


The part I loved the most was where she described feeding "bad carrots" to the horses.  She says, "I guess I should explain what I mean by a bad carrot.  Sometimes they grow kind of funny with little legs instead of growing straight down.  So the horses get all the funny shaped carrots.  They like them."

And then she went on to draw a picture of the carrot.


I've saved this special letter for Anna.  It isn't filled with headline news, it's filled with something better--simple life pleasures, and the love of a special aunt.

Just before Easter we spent time with my sister and her family.  She lives a good distance away, but we always enjoy our special time together.
















No comments: