Monday, August 22, 2016

Art--If You Build It They Will Come

We've spent a fair amount of time at the art museum this summer.  I know, that sounds like we are so cultured, doesn't it?  We spend time at the art museum.  Go ahead, say it with a British accent!










Actually, I've learned a little trick.  And it only took me a generation of kids to learn this.  What a smarty!  Because honestly, some of my kids would rather poke their eye out with a paint brush than go to an art museum.

What I've discovered is that once they get there, they actually DO enjoy it.  At least a little bit.  And some of my kids even invite their friends! (I love that our art museum is free for kids under 18--and many museums have a free/cheap day.)

The trick I've finally learned is to pair something like the museum with something my kids actually LOVE!

Such as ice cream.




I forgot to take photos of our ice cream, so I just used some from when my sister took my kids for ice cream.  I told you, I'm a smarty.

And speaking of art, I bought a bunch of gel pens and markers, put them on the kitchen table, and it's been fun to see ALL my kids get involved in drawing (even if one child drew a bloody sword.  Yuck!).  I couldn't help but think of the line from Field of Dreams, "If you build it, they will come."

And true confessions, my mom has been cleaning out her storage shed.  I drew the little house above when I was in 3rd grade. Did I trick you?  I've always wanted to have a piece of art in the museum.  So now I guess I do.

1 comment:

Shecki Grtlyblesd said...

I like your little house! :)

Art is one of my favorite subjects to teach. Last time I took my kids to an art museum, I was afraid we'd end up getting kicked out! I think we could handle it now, though. It's been about a decade, and I'd be bringing half as many children, lol.