Sunday, October 9, 2016

Priorities

While flying home from my son's, I sat next to a businessman reading, The 5 Choices: The Path to Extraordinary Productivity, by Kogon, Merrill and Rinne.


In true introvert-style, I didn't pick up a conversation, instead I read over his shoulder.  You can imagine how much he loved me.  I read enough to know it was a book I wanted to get as soon as I got home!  So far, it's inspirational.  The five choices are 1.) Act on the important, don't react to the urgent 2.) Go for extraordinary 3.) Schedule the big rocks  4.) Rule your technology, don't let it rule you 5.) Fuel your fire, don't burn out.

The book focuses on what seemingly urgent matters are pushing out the truly important.  I'm refocusing where I really want to spend my time and energy: family, friends, work, household, health, outreach.

Relationships are the most important.  I never want those to get the short-stick--but sometimes they do.  When Will and Cookie came home it was easy to focus on that sweet time together.  It was especially sobering because someone dear recently lost her battle with cancer.  I feel lucky and grateful to have these special memories together.

















"Anything less than a conscious commitment to the important is an unconscious commitment to the unimportant."  Stephen Covey



No comments: