Thursday, November 10, 2016

Growing Up

Gone are the days when we had many littles running in and out of the house, up and down the stairs. Our house is so QUIET these days.  I've been cleaning out the toy closet and putting aside all the outgrown clothing and my heart does a wrench as I realize this time of our lives is coming to a close.

It makes me want to run to Toys R Us and buy that Lego castle my boys always wanted, but seemed too expensive.  It makes me want to go crazy and order all the American Girl dolls Lizzy asked Santa for--or at least the McDonald's baby that ate french fries.  I'm sorry Lizzy that you got cheaper-no-battery-dolls instead--although one year you did get your beloved Samantha.

And now you have the best kind of doll ever!


Anyhoo, it's probably no surprise that I now shop at Gymboree and Hearth Song for my grandkids.  And Amazon prime is the bomb dot com!

At the same time, I'm relishing these years.  I'm not enjoying the days when the school calls telling me my child was caught skipping school, but it's nice to have young adults around to discuss politics, religion, and LIFE.  I'm soaking in the conversations and love.  I'm not wishing any of it away.

Homecoming was memorable.




As was the Holt auction.  It's a joy just to watch my big kids laugh and enjoy life together.








Life.  
"Where are you going my little one, little one,
Where are you going my baby, my own?
Turn around and you're two.  Turn around and you're four,  
Turn around and you're a young girl going out of my door."  
Malvina Reynolds in "Turn Around"

No comments: