Sunday, November 20, 2016

"PHILLIP" HAS A FAMILY!!!

Oh my goodness!  I have the BEST news for you!!!  News to make Thanksgiving an extra special feast!  

Are you ready for it???


"PHILLIP" HAS A FAMILY!!!!!

The past year was rough as I loved him from afar and so desperately tried to find him a home.  Not a day, not an hour, went by, and my thoughts would travel 6,000 miles back to China to wonder what he was doing.  What was he thinking?  Did he think of me?  Did he wonder if I had found him a mother?  Did he wonder why I didn't come back to make him my son?

I wanted to.  And yet, I also knew it wasn't meant to be.  Each and every orphan we met was precious. And yet Phillip . . . I can't even find the words for the way he touched my soul.  

Oh how I prayed and begged God to find Phillip a family!  I dreamed of Phillip.  I lost sleep.  I once got up at 5 am, put on layers against the rising mist on the cabin lake, and rowed for two hours sobbing!  WHY GOD?  Why would you let me fall in love with a little boy and not help me find him a family?  I asked everyone I knew.  I posted on waiting child listings.  I wrote articles and talked to prospective families.

Yet an orphan he remained.  

I didn't understand it.  I still don't.

There was a popular song, Stand By You, by Rachel Platten, that would come on the radio and speak to my heart:

Hands, put your empty hands in mine
And scars, show me all the scars you hide . . .

Tears make kaleidoscopes in your eyes
And hurt, I know you're hurting, and so am I.
And love, if your wings are broken
Please take mine so yours can open
'Cause I'm gonna stand by you.

Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through hell with you
Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you . . .

Perhaps Phillip would never have a family.  Perhaps the only job God had for me to do was to pray for Phillip.  And love him from afar.  As hollow as it felt, I finally reached the point where I had to begin to accept that truth.  I knew God heard my prayers.  But his answer seemed to be opposite what I hoped.  

I found peace.  

And yet . . . I couldn't.

On a busy day I was driving home at sunset and pointed out a sky both dark as light.  It was so stunning Lan Lan, sitting next to me, took a photo. We looked at each other and I said, "Look at that sky!  I wonder what God is trying to say?"  



At the next stop light we pulled behind a car with a bumper sticker that read, "With God all things are possible."  Lan Lan laughed, and took another photo.  


I thought of Phillip.

Two days later, I was out for a walk with Mei Mei, Kim, and baby K.  It was chilly and late in the day.  I was so surprised when a ladybug landed near my hand that I snapped a photo.  


Anyone in the adoption world knows that ladybugs signify adoption.  So, of course, I thought of Phillip again.  And while I don't go around snapping photos and waiting for God to send me messages (perhaps I should more often?!) I am now absolutely certain that God was grabbing my attention!  Because right then things were being put into motion that could only be God ordained.  A friend of a friend contacted me.  

And God answered prayers big time! 

PHILLIP HAS A FAMILY!!  And they are rushing to finish the 6,000 miles of paperwork to bring him home.  He has a wonderful family with a loving mama, devoted daddy, and siblings galore.  He will be loved!  


And finally, finally, Phillip will have a mama to echo his "wo ai ni" back.

"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.  His love endures forever."   Psalm 136:1

2 comments:

Shecki Grtlyblesd said...

Congratulations! I'm so thrilled for Phillip! I think of my sweet Aury from last year often, too. It was hard to see pictures of him at another advocacy camp this year and know he has still not been chosen, but a little bird recently told me that someone is reviewing his file. I'm holding my breath that soon he will have a family, too!

Sammy said...

Great news! I'm sure your prayers help make it all possible.