Saturday, December 31, 2016

Thoughts On New Year's Eve

As I sit here on New Year's Eve I am grateful for a year of happiness and sweet memories. There were times of sadness and loss--my daughter-in-law lost her dear mother, too young. There were times of great joy and HOPE--a wedding, two new grandchildren, many adventures, and children who continue to bloom, attach, and heal.


I have similar resolutions as in past years including exercising more (maybe a half marathon?), eating healthier, and continuing to focus on the educational needs of our kiddos.  I'm finally preparing to take my LMSW exam--wish me luck!  I want to really learn how to use chopsticks this year, and to write characters in Chinese.  I'm going to use less plastic.  Hubby and I want to start a small non-profit to honor our son Joe with adoption grants and help for low-income kids who want to play sports.  I would like to blog more and someday I really do want to write a book (Kim, I know you are encouraged that I'm putting this in public print!).

Mostly, I just want to relish the good times in order to be prepared for the challenges because I've learned they WILL come.  Maybe it's wrong that I now live my life in the shadow of fear, but you can't unlearn what you've lived.


Today I went with several of the kids to a popular trampoline place.  The young girl at the cash register had a tattoo that fits this thought well:

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us."  Romans 8:18.

And this seems like the perfect post to share some of my favorite tree photos from 2016--did I ever tell you about my love affair with trees?










Yes.  I am a tree hugger. 

But true confessions.  

I am also a tree murderer.


And by the way.  Did you know there is a right way and a wrong way to put a tree on top of your car? Luckily we didn't have far to drive home!  

May 2017 be filled with hope, healing, happiness, kindness and LOVE.  And may we find all of that, even if it isn't.

No comments: