Saturday, May 13, 2017

More Birthdays

Patrick and James both had birthdays in March.  And it's May now, but May is also an "M" month, so I'm not really behind, right?

Patrick and James were born 19 years apart.  You've heard the story of how we nearly gave James an aren't-you-too-old-for-that-heart-attack when we told him the news.

He thought we were joking.

We weren't.


But he took it in stride, like he tends to do in life, and has been an awesome biggest brother!  You can understand with the photo above why Patrick loves sports as much as James.

For James' birthday we were in California, so celebrated with Mickey, and later with dinner.  It was also my mom's birthday, so she joined in the celebration.



James still loves the wine business, manages a fancy-shmancy restaurant, loves basketball, hiking, trips to the cabin, fishing, and adventure.  He's as laid-back as they come, kind, patient, funny, and smart.  He isn't with his girlfriend anymore, so we keep asking him if he wants us to set him up on a blind date, but so far he doesn't seem to trust the old-fart parents to find the winner-winner-chicken-dinner.

Patrick turned 15 two weeks before.



Patrick wanted some expensive headphones for his birthday, along with a big soft blanket.  Can you guess what is in the package?  And can you guess what is in the bag?  Well, actually, you aren't as smart as you think because what's in the bag is actually an Amazon gift card.  But not enough for the headphones. And what we were thinking was that Patrick could combine some birthday money with the gift card for the headphones.  And Patrick seemed perfectly happy with his gifts.

But here is what happened later.  Vu took me aside and told me that I really need to step it up a notch on birthdays.  Vu, our emotionally intelligent genius, picked up on Patrick's disappointment that I didn't, and Vu told me we probably should have ditched the blanket in order to spend the cash on the headphones.  He said, "I mean really Mom, a kid only turns 15 once in his life."  As much as I love Amazon, I have to admit it's not the same to have to order your own birthday gift, and then wait several days for arrival.  Duly noted Dr. Vu.  Patrick, I'm still learning not to be a slacker mom.

Would I be an even worse mom to say Patrick may or may not have been the most beautiful baby in the world?


I'm happy to report he morphed into a handsome dude.


Patrick is blossoming in high school.  He's a busy guy with marching band, basketball, track, and AP courses.  And the occasional girl friend.  Lord help me.  He's currently single and I'm hoping he will stay that way for the foreseeable future.


He has mellowed so much since his toddler days, when I worried he would grow up to be the next unabomber.  He loves speech-and-debate, science, history, video games, sugar, and wants to be a pediatrician when he grows up.

My babies continue to grow bigger and more independent.  I miss the old days, it gets quieter and quieter around here.  




But I also look forward to all the future holds.  Happiest of birthdays Mom, Patrick, and James!  May your year be filled with all  the goodness life has to offer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well if it is getting too quite you can always adopt 1,2 or ? more!! just sayin.

God bless your Mother's Day!


Erika